PDA

View Full Version : The Original Block Plane

Robert Rozaieski
09-06-2008, 12:52 PM
Just received this earlier this week. I needed to replace a #65 with a stripped casting. I like this much better :D.

In the 18th century it was referred to as a strike block. In the early 19th century, it was called a straight block, presumably due to the lack of a tote like the other bench planes. Later in the 19th century it was called a miter plane. Today we call them block planes.

This one is bedded bevel down like a typical bench plane, but at 35 degrees. The effective cutting angle is therefore the same as a modern low angle bevel up block plane with a 12 degree bed and 23 degree bevel. The blade in this one is not original as it was meant for a cap iron and this is a single iron plane, however, it is still an old cast steel iron and works very well in this plane.

I planed some pine end grain with it earlier today and the finish was smooth and polished. This is a very fine example of an early 19th century straight block. These don't come around too often.

The $10 price tag wasn't bad either :p.

http://logancabinetshoppe.weebly.com/uploads/9/4/7/5/947508/826708_orig.jpg

About 10" long with a 1-3/4" tapered iron.

Shown below with the stripped #65 and a #5 to show relative size.

http://logancabinetshoppe.weebly.com/uploads/9/4/7/5/947508/1940230_orig.jpg

Bob

Greg Cole
09-06-2008, 12:59 PM
You always amaze me with your depth & breadth of knowledge Robert.
And for a user $10 is darn cheap, not mention a nice piece of history.

Greg

Robert Rozaieski
09-07-2008, 8:04 PM
You always amaze me with your depth & breadth of knowledge Robert.
And for a user $10 is darn cheap, not mention a nice piece of history.

Greg

Thanks Greg. I wish I could take credit, but the truth is, I don't really know that much :). Most of this information in available in old texts like Moxon, Nicholson, Ruobo, etc. I just happen to like to read a lot and try out the stuff I read in the shop (I do the same with fishing). Most of the time, I'm just reiterating information or techniques from these old texts. It just so happens that the tools and techniques of the periods these texts are from (18th and 19th century) happen to work very well ;). Guess the old guys knew what they were doing afterall :D.

Bob