PDA

View Full Version : Template Routing

Tony Bilello
09-06-2008, 2:37 AM
I have always used 1/2" Baltic Birch for my templates. I also have a lot of 1/4" and 1/2" MDF. Can I use the MDF for template routing or will the edges just get chewed up?
Has anyone here used MDF for template routing?

Tony B

Chris McDowell
09-06-2008, 3:35 AM
Tony, what exactly are you trying to do? I have used MDF for template routing, but I want to be sure we are both talking about the same thing.

I like using it because it's stable, very flat and cheap. I make templates for any arched panel valences I put above sinks. It has always cut well for me provided the bit used was sharp. Never had any chip out problems.

glenn bradley
09-06-2008, 4:24 AM
I have 1/4" MDF templates that have been used dozens of times with bearing guided bits and show no signs of wear. Will they look that way after "hundreds" of uses? I don't know but it appears so.

mark page
09-06-2008, 7:11 AM
I like MDF for templates. Never a problem yet. Thick hardboard also works well for me too.

Mike Cutler
09-06-2008, 8:05 AM
MDF works just fine for templates. The workability of MDF makes excellent edges. It's a lot easier to contour an arc in MDF than in plywood.

Peter Quinn
09-06-2008, 8:49 AM
I use MDF for templates all the time. If you are using a bearing guided bit be sure the bearing is well lubed and don't apply more pressure than is necessary. Over several passes the MDF can take an imprint of the bearing and change the template ever so slightly. This is really only a problem when using a template for curves involving joinery where great precision is required.

In fact I keep a sheet of 1/4" and 1/2" in my shop for this purpose.

Bill Huber
09-06-2008, 8:50 AM
I use 1/2 inch MDF for all of my templates, it is easy to work with and last for a long time.

I like the 1/2 inch because it come off better, I use turners tape and some time I use just a little to much and it is really hard to get the the two apart and I feel if I was using something lighter it would be even harder and could even brake.

Jerry Olexa
09-06-2008, 3:05 PM
I've used 1/4" MDF many times as a template w good results. Wouldn't want to do that in a production shop over an extended time...IMHO

Peter Pedisich
09-06-2008, 9:11 PM
MDF is really an ideal material for low volume templates - and I spray a few coats of shellac to the edges and it hardens up nice! then a quick swipe with a sanding sponge and you will have a nice smooth surface for the bearing.

Tony Bilello
09-06-2008, 10:22 PM
You guys have answered my question.

Tony B

Jim Becker
09-07-2008, 10:54 AM
I pretty much use MDF for templates exclusively. 1/2" for when template routing is involved and 1/4" for traceable templates to duplicate projects in the future. The price is right and you can quickly get a nice smooth contour on the edges.

pat warner
09-07-2008, 4:14 PM
Precision, long run, durability, thickness options required?
Then Phenolics, acrylics (non bearing only) and aluminum.

(Examples (http://patwarner.com/precision_routing.html))