PDA

View Full Version : Funnels and Bowls

Matt Wolboldt
09-06-2008, 2:19 AM
So today not only did I make a bowl, but I also managed to make a funnel too :(! I was trying to push the limit and getting the walls pretty thin, but as luck would have it I missed the mark a bit :). The funnel is black cherry and the bowl is magnolia.
I decided to finish the outside of the funnel just to make myself feel better. Thanks for looking.

Tim Self
09-06-2008, 7:54 AM
Really nice bowls. I have a magnolia offered to me just for cutting it down. Gotta do it now. I can feel for you though, I had a 6x8 cedar ready for sanding the other day and as I touched it, it exploded all over the shop. Thin is cool but..........

Thomas Bennett
09-06-2008, 8:13 AM
Don't give up on the funnel. Chuck it back on your lathe and turn it into a mirror or picture frame. Your bowls have nice form, beautiful wood.

robert hainstock
09-06-2008, 9:46 AM
Put a pedestal under it.:eek::):):)
Bob

Steve Schlumpf
09-06-2008, 10:08 AM
Matt - that's how we all learn! As long as you had fun and didn't get hurt - it was a good thing cause next time you'll know what to expect. Good form on both of your bowls. Magnolia looks like some interesting wood. Keep turning - it gets easier with doing!

Bernie Weishapl
09-06-2008, 11:50 AM
Matt been there done that. It happens to us all sometime. Your bowls look great. Nice form and finish. So don't worry about the funnel just learn from it.

Greg Just
09-06-2008, 3:58 PM
Matt:

I recently did the same thing with an oak bowl. I was parting it off and cut it a little too think and have about a 1 inch hole in the bottom of the bowl. I'm thinking about gluing a piece of oak to the bottom and see what I can make of it.

Your forms and finsh are really nice - keep trying!

Matt Wolboldt
09-06-2008, 4:14 PM
Thanks everyone for the compliments and encouragement. I think I may try putting a new bottom on the funnel and making it an ex-funnel :).

Reed Gray
09-07-2008, 12:14 PM
Bernie,
Did you core it too deep, and then when you were finish cutting the bottom did you go through?
robo hippy

Keith Burns
09-07-2008, 12:45 PM
Funnels are "design opportunities". Don't give up on it.

Cyril Griesbach
09-07-2008, 6:15 PM
There are three kinds of bowl turners.

Those who have made funnels.

Those who will make funnels

Those who will make funnels again.

:):):)

Cyril

Reed Gray
09-09-2008, 1:30 PM
Silly me, Bernie, I thought, for some reason that you started this post. Matt, did you core, and go too thin on the bottom, or did you just turn too deep? One of the first things I do when turning the inside of the bowl is to measure and see how thick the bottom is before finish turning. Some times I have to make the walls thinner than I prefer because I went too deep with the core. There are a number of ways to measure how thick your bottom is.
robo hippy