PDA

View Full Version : HF tools? What to get?

Jon Lanier
09-06-2008, 2:02 AM
Okay, I'm getting ready to go into new territory and would like some input from you HF guys. I've not done any Hollow Form work.... ever. My first thing I need is to know what Kind of Tooling I need? I've got a 12" Rikon, so I'll be turning smaller stuff.

Do you guys have any ideas on what I might be interested in? I'd get the Mini Monstor system but I don't have that kind of dough.

Thank for your help,

Jon

tom martin
09-06-2008, 9:31 AM
Hi Jon,
You probably have all the tooling you need to get started already. The articulating hollowers are nice, but not necessary. You can try a few first by using a drilled center and scrapers to hollow. After you have a few under your belt, you can decide whether you need a monster or not.
I have turner many hollow forms of various sizes and don't have any of the specialty hollowers. I love tools so I may end up with one, but it will be because I want it, not need it!

Jim Becker
09-06-2008, 10:10 AM
Your existing straight scrapers combined with one manual bent hollowing tool, such as the Sorby with interchangeable tooling can get you started. Mid-way above that would be something like the Stewart or Sorby arm handle setup with interchangeable cutting ends.

At some point I do recommend that you consider a captive system if you really dig doing hollow forms. It makes the task so much easier on your body so you can concentrate on the art, rather than the pain in your shoulder, wrist and elbow... ;)

Steve Schlumpf
09-06-2008, 10:29 AM
I second Jim's suggestions! I started with a small Sorby goose neck - in addition to my harbor freight scrapers and eventually moved up to the Monster captured system. There's a lot of rotational torque you have to deal with while hollowing and I wanted something to counter of all the physical abuse you are subjected to.

Bernie Weishapl
09-06-2008, 11:45 AM
I started with the small and midsized keltons. I then moved to the monster captured rig. When Randy came out with the articulating arm unit I got that one. He has a mini size for the smaller lathes and the large size. I love the articulating arm unit. It is easy to use and for me with arthritis in my hands makes it a whole lot easier and more pleasant for me to turn hollow forms. Of course it is not necessary and you can definitely hollow without them.

Jim Becker
09-06-2008, 2:59 PM
Oh, if you choose something like the Stewart arm system, the same cutters can often be used with a captive system later on. I use Trent Bosch boring bars, for example, with my Jamison captive system.

Mike Minto
09-06-2008, 8:15 PM
Jon, I still use my Crown Pro PM Ellsworth Sig gouge for alot of hollowing - less vibration than any other tool I have for blind hollowing. I also have David Ellsworth's two hollowing tools he sells, which you must handle yourself. They are good for about a 9" HF, and I like them alot. Mike

Ken Fitzgerald
09-06-2008, 9:26 PM
Of course, you could get the Jamison captured outfit like I have and if you ever get a new lathe...you just by the rear tool rest or....have someone weld an extension on the post of the one you have. I bought my Jamison for use on my Jet VS Mini. Used it ....then bought my PM3520B...bought a new taller rear tool rest. Now I can use it on either lathe.

Jim Becker
09-07-2008, 10:39 AM
Ken, my rear support for my Jamison setup is built from wood and was originally on the OneWay 1018 I sold after getting the Stubby. I just put a 3" riser on it to account for the change in swing. Building your own rear support (it doesn't have to be from steel) cuts the cost of going captive a nice chunk of change!

Reed Gray
09-07-2008, 11:56 AM
An articulated hollowing system really takes the work out of hollow forms. A laser pointer makes that even better. I have the Monster system, and love it. I was amazed at how easy it is to hollow with it. I prefer the McNaughton cutters to the ones that come with the Monster. I also like the Eliminator cutters. I had Randy make me an adapter so that all my other cutters would work in his system. This may be more than you are willing to invest in a hollowing system. The captured systems are nice for larger hollow forms while the articulated are better for smaller forms. There is no end to the toys you can buy.
robo hippy