PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw for guy who moves a lot?

Bruce Barker
09-06-2008, 12:08 AM
I move pretty often. I fix houses, live in them for a few years, then sell and move on. Most my tools are fairly portable, or can at least be broken down with a minimum of inconvenience.

I have always wanted a 14" bandsaw, but is there one for a guy like me? One that breaks down for packing onto a truck, relatively easily? Something that doesn't require four huge guys to move? I get the feeling that the good ones are solid chunks of steel.

I had my eye on the Delta open-stand model for years, but didn't jump, and then they stopped being US made. Wish I had moved when I had the chance. What are my options now?

Jamie Buxton
09-06-2008, 12:52 AM
The floor-standing 16"-18" bandsaws with welded frames move more easily than you might think. You roll one up to a pickup truck, and lean it backwards into the truck. When you get it halfway in, one guy gets into the truck to pull, and the other guy pushes and lifts from outside the truck. The saw travels horizontal, resting on its spine. A little blocking and/or roping prevents it from falling sideways. Examples of floor-standing welded frame saws include the MiniMax E16, the Laguna LT16, Delta 18", Jet 18", and the Rikon 18".

Lance Norris
09-06-2008, 11:42 AM
Bruce... I have the Grizzly G0457 and it is a steel frame 14" bandsaw. It is one of a few steel frame saws that can be seperated from its base(or that even has a base). I bought it for reasons similar to yours, I have a small basement shop and needed a saw that was fairly easy to move. It has been an excellent saw and I highly recommend it. Since it can be seperated into 2 pieces, I removed the table and motor and carried the frame into the basement myself. I dont recommend this, it was difficult, and I am a large and somewhat strong man, but 2 people could carry the frame without too much trouble. There are larger capacity saws for less money, but this bandsaw fits special situations like mine(and yours) nicely.

http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2008/Main/95

Alan Schwabacher
09-06-2008, 1:36 PM
There is a new option, available later this year, that might be useful in your situation: an adjustable-height bandsaw.

http://blogs.popularwoodworking.com/editorsblog/An+Adjustableheight+Band+Saw+Yes+You+Read+That+Rig ht.aspx

If the top can be taken all the way off, it might be convenient for transport.

Curt Harms
09-06-2008, 1:51 PM
As Lance said. I have a Rikon 10-325. It has a removable base (I made my own lower version). The table is easy to remove and the motor isn't too bad-4 bolts C face style motor. Good saw unless you're going to saw turning blankS or a lot of resawing. It'll resaw well, but if I were doing a LOT of it a larger saw may be a better idea.

HTH

Curt

Tim Marks
09-06-2008, 7:35 PM
I have a Rikon 14" as well, and it is very easy to move. I have an appliance dolly, and I had no problems pulling it up and down a u-haul ramp (by myself)... and I am not hercules.

Matter-of-fact, got most of my tools up that ramp by myself (including a PM 54A 6" jointer on it's moveable base). Tried to get my Ridgid TS up, but no luck. It was child's play to just push it onto my landscape trailer (again, by myself).

I wouldn't be too worried about a 14" bandsaw; it is a convenient shape to maneuver around with a dolly.

Peter Quinn
09-06-2008, 7:44 PM
There is a new option, available later this year, that might be useful in your situation: an adjustable-height bandsaw.

http://blogs.popularwoodworking.com/editorsblog/An+Adjustableheight+Band+Saw+Yes+You+Read+That+Rig ht.aspx

If the top can be taken all the way off, it might be convenient for transport.

Wow, they crossed a drill press with a BS, and managed to double the price of your average 14" BS! I think I would buy a regular BS and a nice trailer with a ramp first.

Loren Hedahl
09-06-2008, 7:50 PM
I've had an old Craftsman aluminum body 12 inch bandsaw for years. I finally replaced it with one of the last American made 14 inch Deltas, but felt sorry for the Craftsman out in a shed in the back forty one day.

Spent a rainy day getting everything just right and it is has become my favorite, of the two. Without the motor, I doubt it weighs much over 40 lb.

Just a thought. Or you could invest in an Inca. They had two light weight models, but to my knowledge are out of production. Might be able to find one on ebay or Craig's list. They are somewhat in demand, so the price reflects this.

Bruce Barker
09-07-2008, 1:10 AM
Excellent food for thought. Thank you my friends.

Norman Pyles
09-07-2008, 2:15 PM
I'll suggest the 10" Rikon or it's Craftsman clone. Not quite as powerful as a 14" ones but lite weight, and will do almost as much as the 14" ones will. The Craftsman was on sale for $150, not sure if it still is.