PDA

View Full Version : Sycamore closed form

Leo Van Der Loo
09-05-2008, 10:44 PM
I made this Sycamore bowl from a piece of a large old tree that had a very nice pink color in the heartwood, it's 7½" X 5" with a ¼" wall.
Comments and replies are all appreciated :D

Paul Girouard
09-05-2008, 11:06 PM
Very nice Leo!

What type of chuck do you use and do you taper the tenon?

That's one of the things I haven't got figured to , well along with a bunch of others, on the lathe.

I've tried jamb chucks that I've turned , no joy. I did pickup a Pinnacle, this one ,

http://www.woodcraft.com/images/products/146800_230.jpg

Self-Centering 4-Jaw Chuck

Expand the versatility of your lathe and mount your work pieces quicker and easier with the self-centering 4-jaw chuck. You'll appreciate the following features:

Wide range of jaw movement, quick action and a powerful grip in either expansion or contraction modes
Jaws will expand and grip in a 2-3" dovetailed recess in the base of ...

from Woodcraft. I haven't used it yet maybe it will solve my issues.

Again nice work!

Jamie Cowan
09-05-2008, 11:30 PM
I've looked at that Pinnacle chuck with serious interest--because I don't want to spring for a Nova chuck. Interested in hearing how it does. Get to work!

Bernie Weishapl
09-05-2008, 11:33 PM
Great looking piece Leo. Wood is great as is the form.

Steve Schlumpf
09-05-2008, 11:41 PM
Good looking bowl Leo! Love the color variations and the form. Also really like the knot and inclusions - adds lots of charactor!

Leo Van Der Loo
09-06-2008, 12:37 AM
Quick one here Paul, I have and use a couple of Oneway Talon chucks and one Oneway Stronghold chuck, the nice thing besides the high quality, is the large range in movement of the Oneway chucks, so there isn't a need for many jaw-sets and the need to do the changes of those jaws, together with the patented jaw shapes that hold very well over the large range of movement, I have used these chucks for years, more than ten, but not sure exactly how long, and if I need/want another chuck it will be a Oneway again :D.
As for holding my work, almost everyone is held with a recess, I seldom use a tenon, it is just not as secure with a tenon, but I do use a tenon occasionally, but the Oneway chuck does not need a dovetail just a straight tenon or recess, unless you would purchase the dovetail jaws for the Oneway chucks, I don't have a need for them, but some people feel more secure with the dovetail :confused:.
I hope your chuck will do what you want from it, a chuck is certainly is a good thing to have, I used for years a 3-jaw metal chuck, and those were nowhere near as securely holding the wood than the 4 jaw chucks we now have, the 3 jaw chuck taught me to be very careful with me turning the wood, almost any catch wood mean a damaged piece, no fun if that happens :mad:
I'll add a picture here that shows the dovetail jaws holding and the Oneway profiled jaws in comparison, also the movement range.

Link to one of my albums that shows the way I hold my bowls usually, HTH
http://homepage.mac.com/l.vanderloo/PhotoAlbum26.html

Paul Girouard
09-06-2008, 2:47 AM
Thanks Leo! Those photo helped a lot:cool: to see how you go about it.

http://homepage.mac.com/l.vanderloo/.Pictures/Photo%20Album%20Pictures/2005-05-02%2021.49.39%20-0700/Image-76DE60E0BB8811D9.jpg

That's a LOT of turning Leo , holy moly what you got 200 or so in that drying room :eek:

Thanks again. I can see why you say the Record's are a bit small, thats some serious work there Leo. :cool:

Leo Van Der Loo
09-06-2008, 4:19 AM
There's a bit over 500 bowls last count, in there Paul, I don't seem to keep up finish turning with the rough-out turning, I guess I enjoy roughing wet more than finish turning dry and the sanding etc that goes with it :eek: :p :D