PDA

View Full Version : French Cleat Weight Limit?

Liz Wojtkieiwcz
09-05-2008, 5:24 PM
Hi all I'm so glad to have found this site - what a great resource!

I'm building two CD cabinets, each about 24"x40", and had planned to hang them on french cleats. Now that I've got them close to complete and have hefted them, I'm starting to wonder if the cleats will do the job? The cabinets are maple ply with six shelves to which I'm planning to eventually add spalted maple flat panel doors. I'm figuring each will hold about 250 CDs, which I've estimated to be about 75 pounds in addition to the cabinet weight.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks in advance!!

Liz

Joe Jensen
09-05-2008, 6:19 PM
I think it depends on the following;
1) How strong the cleat is.
- what is the material
- how tall is the cleat
2) How heavy are the screws you are using on each side of the cleat.

In my experience cleats are very strong...joe

glenn bradley
09-05-2008, 6:37 PM
I've got a few hundred pound hanging from a 3/4" shop grade plywood cleat. The cleat and the hanger are about 7" in height when mated. From my experience, I would worry more about what you mount the cleat to than the cleat itself. I used 3-1/2" #10 wood screws through the 3/4" cleat, drywall and into a stud every 16". And speaking of screws, these were McFeely's, not some random BORG screws. Any quality screw would be fine.

Tim Sproul
09-06-2008, 12:05 AM
I use a french cleat to help install upper cabinets. I don't rely on the french cleat to keep the cabinet up. After getting it up, screw the cabinet to the wall.

Bruce Barker
09-06-2008, 12:12 AM
Two hundred pounds distributed across a well anchored cleat? Doesn't sound like much stress or strain to me.

Lee Schierer
09-06-2008, 1:23 PM
The cleat is not the problem for holding weight as it is mostly in compression and even pine will hold a lot of weight. The fasteners holding the cleat to the wall structure will be taking all the stress so they need to be strong enough. Make sure you use large enough fasteners that are not brittle. Dry wall screw while cheap are not good for fastening wood components, You will need to anchor the cleats into the studs not just into the drywall with dry wall anchors. A #10 or #12 wood screw should easily hold 75 pounds. If in doubt, use the Timberloc style lag screws they are exceptionally strong. Counter bore the head and distribute the load with a washer to prevent pull through.

David DeCristoforo
09-06-2008, 1:38 PM
The issue is not the cleat but the holding power of the fasteners. A cleat attached to sheetrock with drywall anchors will not hold as well as one fastened directly to three studs with 2 two inch screws each. The attachment to the cabinet is also important. The stronger that is, the more weight it will carry. It's impossible to say exactly how much load a french cleat will carry without knowing the method of attachment.

James Ayars
09-06-2008, 7:16 PM
The two water fountains in my gym are held up with French cleats. The cleats are metal, but I think ply would hold them as well and both fountains are well above 75 pounds. Each is held up with four 2.5" round head sheet metal screws through drywall into studs. Each one gets used by ~ 400 kids per week plus assorted parents and siblings. Never had a problem with them coming loose.

James

Liz Wojtkieiwcz
09-06-2008, 8:39 PM
Thanks everyone for the information. Based on all this I'll definitely plan to use lags into the studs. My only worry now will be catching 2 studs for each cabinet. I had planned to hang them side by side so with the doors in place (one on each) and a top and bottom molding it would have the look of one wide piece. Not so sure if that will work now, as each piece is only 24" wide.

Time to break out the studfinder I guess!

Liz

Richard Wolf
09-07-2008, 8:06 AM
Thanks everyone for the information. Based on all this I'll definitely plan to use lags into the studs. My only worry now will be catching 2 studs for each cabinet. I had planned to hang them side by side so with the doors in place (one on each) and a top and bottom molding it would have the look of one wide piece. Not so sure if that will work now, as each piece is only 24" wide.

Time to break out the studfinder I guess!

Liz

In that case, you can use one cleat that measures 48" on the wall with 24" pieces on the cabinets. I like to use really long cleats on my shop cabinets so I can slide them around as needed.

Richard

Liz Wojtkieiwcz
09-12-2008, 11:11 AM
That's great Richard - thanks! Since I've recessed the cleat into the back of the cabinet all I'll have to do is cut a relief in the sides that are going to meet in the middle. Love it - thanks again!

Liz

Liz Wojtkieiwcz
05-04-2009, 8:25 PM
Thanks to everyone for the advice. I had a forced break from the shop to take care of my Mom after open heart surgery, but I'm back in the sawdust now and thought I'd share how I put your advice to work.

I finished one cabinet before Mom got sick and you can see how I have it up there. One wide cleat with six molly bolts - I could not find studs in my bizarrely constructed walls. Cut a recess into the sides that will meet in the middle when both cabinets are up and bingo - perfect support!

Now to finish the second cabinet and get to the doors!

Thanks again!
Liz

Tyler Starter
05-04-2009, 9:32 PM
Hey, that looks pretty good! :cool:

The only thing that I could think of adding is that the Wall mounting rail didn't have to quite that tall... looks like about 6" or so... 3"-4" would have worked.

No harm done though... :cool:

It's a beautiful & simple way to hang a cabinet on the wall... Yes?
... and you can even shift them from side to side as desired too. :cool:

Liz Wojtkieiwcz
05-04-2009, 9:38 PM
The only thing that I could think of adding is that the Wall mounting rail didn't have to quite that tall... looks like about 6" or so... 3"-4" would have worked.

Thanks Tyler - I'm sure you're right about that, I just consider it channeling my Dad. You know "Why use one screw when five will do just as well?" :D