PDA

View Full Version : Color selection & critique

Mike Lush
09-05-2008, 4:40 PM
Hi all,

I'm making a few signs, 2 for the posts and I'll be making a much larger one for the corner of our property. I made a couple of simple signs for the posts but I'm not happy with them. The idea was to have the blue match the house and the white trim the fence but it just didn't come out to my satisfaction for some reason. Should I have gone with a stone grey background to match the pillar with a white trim? How do other people pick out their colors?

I might re-do these since I'm not happy right now and I would like the sign on the corner to pick up the same theme if possible. Any comments would be appreciated.

Joe Pelonio
09-05-2008, 5:14 PM
They are really nice looking signs.

The first priority for me is good contrast between the lettering and background, for readability. Your gold letters and background are both
toward the middle range of light/dark, so until you get close it's going to be hard to read. Neither color on the house is dark enough to use, so you have to find something that's dark enough and goes with the house color and the posts.

For gold, black works well as a background color, is classy and goes with any color. You could leave the white trim or make it gold too.

James Stokes
09-05-2008, 8:11 PM
If it was me I would put a small black outline around the lettering. That would make it stand out.

Dee Gallo
09-08-2008, 9:02 AM
Joe is 100% right, you need more contrast. If you want a slightly warmer or earthier look, try a dark brown with the gold. It should make your letters stand out well but not be as stark as black. However, the black will look good with the light fixture anyway. The signs are a nice shape and design, good job! But are they both identical on each side of the driveway? You might change one to "Welcome" or something else just for variety.

cheers, dee