PDA

View Full Version : T-Track extension

Kevin Gagne
09-05-2008, 4:25 PM
I have a G1023SL that I am building a outfeed table for. Instead of just routing a grove for the miter slot I would like to get a aluminum T-track that I could use instead. Any ideas where to get this from? I looked at Rockler but the T-track they have listed is 3/4 wide so I am guessing that the groove is only 3.8 wide. I need one that has the grove that is 3/4 wide and 3/8 deep to match up with my table saw. I would also like to stick with the T-track instead of just a slot so that it matches the table saw. Thanks -Kevin

David G Baker
09-05-2008, 5:17 PM
Kevin,
Check Ebay. There is a guy that sells a lot of aluminum products, many associated with T material. He probably has what you are looking for.

Chris Rosenberger
09-05-2008, 5:47 PM
Rockler also sells a miter track.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=2014&filter=miter%20track

Russell Tribby
09-05-2008, 5:50 PM
Kevin, I wouldn't recommend going with the t-track or miter channel. By the time your miter gauge or sled gets into the extension table the piece is already in the blade and it is being controlled by the miter slots in the ts. You'd actually be better off cutting those grooves a little wide. If you try to get them lined up exactly and they aren't you're going to run into issues of binding.

Chris Rosenberger
09-05-2008, 6:12 PM
Kevin,

After seeing Russell's post I went back and read you question. I did not fully understand what you were wanting to do. I agree with Russell. It is best to just rout some wider grooves in the outfeed table. If you use the miter track, it will be a constant fight with binding.

glenn bradley
09-05-2008, 6:39 PM
I agree with Russel and Chris. I routed 1" wide slots to avoid any possibility of my post-cut slots trying to control my material.

Tom Veatch
09-05-2008, 6:48 PM
Kevin,

Unless you permanently and rigidly attach the outfeed table to the saw in perfect alignment, you'll be forever fighting interferences. You'll be much better off cutting plenty of clearance for the miter bar in the outfeed table. May not be quite as pretty, but will be a lot more functional.

Kevin Gagne
09-05-2008, 8:05 PM
Thanks guys for the comments. Makes sense that a wider groove would be better and keep things from binding. I appreciate the feedback. -Kevin