PDA

View Full Version : Tormek experience?

Jeffrey M Jones
09-05-2008, 2:26 PM
Has anyone used all of the jigs for the tormek? My dad and i just got a T-7 and the jointer/planer jig. We have only done a few chisels dad has been stoning for years. Dad's a gunsmith so he only used them to work over fitting actions into stocks and occasional projects. We COULD NOT BELIEVE how sharp it made the few things we have done so far. amazing. Does it work this well with the other jigs (scissor, knifes, gouge)... or are there any that you have problems with? This planer/jointer knife jig seems intimidating... any tips? Thanks--Jeff

Izzy Camire
09-05-2008, 2:40 PM
I haven't used the planer jointer jig so I can't comment on that. Although I will soon since my jointer knives need sharpening. The scissor jig works well. It's great to have sharp scissors. So far all the jigs I have used worked well. I really like the Tormek.

Wilbur Pan
09-05-2008, 2:45 PM
I mainly use my Tormek for woodturning tools, and I love it. For woodturning tools, there's a set of jigs you can buy for that purpose, and I use them all the time. I also have the knife jig for doing kitchen knives, and it did a great job on my knives as well. I usually use waterstones for chisels and plane blades, but I've used my Tormek for resetting the bevel angle and for taking out nicks, and it does a fine job at that.

Despite many reports out there on the web, I've had very good experience with the jointer/planer jig. Take your time setting it up, and follow the directions in the book. There are some complaints about water getting everywhere, but if you raise the side of the Tormek with the leather wheel by 1/4" or so with some scrap wood, the vast majority of the water will drip into the bucket.

If some water spills, there's this fascinating new device called a shop towel that will quickly mop it up. Genius! ;)

For the price of sharpening a set of jointer knives around here, if I sharpen 5 sets of knives, that jig has paid for itself.

Heather Thompson
09-05-2008, 2:48 PM
Jeff,

I have had the Tormek for a number of years, have not used all of the jigs, but very happy with the results overall. Used to sharpen my friends turning tools on occasion just to watch him smile, his wife bought him the complete set up last Christmas due to his rave reviews after I would put an edge on his tools. Dominick does not own a jointer or planer, asked him about a month ago if I could buy the jig, went to his house and he had the box wrapped in Christmas paper. :D His wife and he both said in unison, one good turn deserves another, X-mas in August! There is a Tormek group that has lots of good information, if you are interested PM me.

Heather

Brent Smith
09-05-2008, 3:53 PM
There are some complaints about water getting everywhere, but if you raise the side of the Tormek with the leather wheel by 1/4" or so with some scrap wood, the vast majority of the water will drip into the bucket.

If some water spills, there's this fascinating new device called a shop towel that will quickly mop it up. Genius! ;)

That would be me complaining. Thanks for that simple trick Wilbur, and the shop towel one is good too!!!:D

Jeffrey M Jones
09-06-2008, 1:50 PM
Well folks, the planer/jointer jig works very well. Yesterday I put a better than factory edge on my jointer knives (4 hss knives) in about a hour. i could shave hair off the back of my hand with a jointer knife. It almost took me longer to set the knives than it did to sharpen them as its the second time ive ever set them. It did make a mess when I sharpened them and I had to constantly fill up the water trough. If you have a Tormek and you dont have the jig, you are missing out on very sharp machine knives. I am really glad we got the jig though it was so expensive. I did find it was difficult to get the bevel set up, I was having tilt problems. It seems like the jig rail is bent or something. The book shows you are supposed to push down on the left side post but I really had to press hard to get the thing level. Does anyone else have this problem or am I doing something wrong?:confused: Other than having problems with getting it level, I had a good experience with it. One question about the knife jigs... is it necessary to get a long and short knife jig or can you "get by" with one or the other? thanks Jeff

Wilbur Pan
09-06-2008, 4:49 PM
I did find it was difficult to get the bevel set up, I was having tilt problems. It seems like the jig rail is bent or something. The book shows you are supposed to push down on the left side post but I really had to press hard to get the thing level. Does anyone else have this problem or am I doing something wrong?:confused: Other than having problems with getting it level, I had a good experience with it. One question about the knife jigs... is it necessary to get a long and short knife jig or can you "get by" with one or the other? thanks Jeff

I can't help you with your jig tilt problem -- it doesn't happen on my jig. If you contact Jeff Farris at www.sharptoolsusa.com (US distributor of Tormek), he should be able to help.

For the knife jigs, I have the short knife jig, and can sharpen a 3" paring knife and an 8" chef's knife with it. My understanding is that the long knife jig is for knives that are long and have flexible blades, like a filet knife (http://www.surlatable.com/gs/victorinox-swiss-army-filet-knife-9.shtml), since these knives have enough flexibility that the short knife jig wouldn't be able to support the entire length of the blade. Even though the length of my 8" chef's knife is longer than the short knife jig, this knife doesn't bend, so the short knife jig will work.

Dennis Peacock
09-06-2008, 5:26 PM
I have been using my Tormek for several years now. I have all the jigs and gizmo's for it and I've used them. I even used the j/p jib to put a fresh edge on my PM 15S spiral knives. It's a great machine for what it's designed for and I've been more than happy with mine.

Jack Mincey
09-06-2008, 6:17 PM
I've been using one for 5 or 6 years now and love it. I sharpen 25" planner knives on it as well as turning tools and hunting knives. It will put an edge on a skinning knife that you want believe. It only takes seconds to sharpen a hunting knife. It takes a few hours to sharpen the 25" planner knives, because they always have a few bad nicks that have to be ground down. If you use one for turning tools one needs the gouge setting jig which makes set up a snap. After the first time to the tormek it only takes a few seconds to put a new edge on a tuning tool.
Jack

Loren Hedahl
09-06-2008, 7:42 PM
My wife likes the sharpness I get on a one inch belt sander better than the edge I get on the Tormek. I think the truth is that she like the small amount of "bite" that the sawtooth edge gives her sharpened on the belt sander. The Tormek actually produces a sharper edge.

Concerning sharpening scissors, I found that the gage setting is OK for scissors used to cut paper and other utility cutting. But for sharpening fabric shears, it is much better to sharpen at the original sharpening angle of the shears.

Doug Mason
09-06-2008, 9:32 PM
I have one but rarely use it. It's too slow and takes too long to sharpen. Grinder is much quicker albiet takes more skill. Tormak/grinder-I still have to hone on the stones.