PDA

View Full Version : Unifence featherboard

Bob Stritzke
09-05-2008, 12:46 PM
Unifence featherboard
Many of you probably had this figured our years ago. However, I got the Unisaw with the Unifence ths last winter and have been setting up stuff since then.
I purchased the set of router featherboards that Rockler had on sale for $10 a couple of weeks ago. I decided that I would also try to setup them for the Unifence.
I used some laminate flooring that was four feet long for the surface of the fence to attach the T-slot into. Under it was a piece of wood to screw the laminate to. A salvaged section of T-slot was installed in the fence section to attach the featherboards to. I use a piece of 3/4" wood to span the top of the Unifence rail. Then attached a piece of 3/4" plywood to the assembly to drop over the backside of the fence. I had the outside grain of the plywood running vertical.
I drilled the plywood with four holes to insert treaded inserts near the bottom that 1/4" inch bolts were installed into to hold the fence tight. I used nylon acorn nuts on the ends of the bolts to protect the backside of the fence. The entire unit is assembled with screws.
I made the part of the fence with the laminate and the supporting board 1 1/2" thick. This allows me to use the flat fence guide cursor on the fence to set the fence.
I hope the photos help.

Charles Lent
09-05-2008, 1:18 PM
The Unifence is a great design, except when it comes to attaching fixtures.
I recently solved this by buying a replacement fence extrusion.

Peach Tree Supply in Atlanta makes a replacement fence extrusion for the Unifence system that I thought you might want to know about. It's a square aluminum extrusion with a wide T slot in the back that matches your existing unifence extrusion, but it also has 2 small T slots on the top and 1 on the face that take 1/4-20 hex nuts or hex head bolts for easily attaching featherboards and fixtures. Also, on the face side is a 3/4 inch thick piece of UMHW polyethelyne to give you a slippery surface on the lower fence face and blade protection (they sell replacement UMHW strips for it). Their website is www.ptreeusa.com The part is called a Uni-T-Fence and it comes in three lengths 16, 36 ,and 43 inches. The part numbers are 1114 for the 16" , 1112 for the 36" and 1113 for the 43 inch. The 43 inch length is $89.95. The 16" version is great for acting as a length stop when making repeat cross cuts using the miter gauge, and it's cheaper than the now discontinued short Delta Unifence that was designed for this purpose.

Charley

Bob Stritzke
09-05-2008, 7:09 PM
The Unifence is a great design, except when it comes to attaching fixtures.
I recently solved this by buying a replacement fence extrusion.

Peach Tree Supply in Atlanta makes a replacement fence extrusion for the Unifence system that I thought you might want to know about. It's a square aluminum extrusion with a wide T slot in the back that matches your existing unifence extrusion, but it also has 2 small T slots on the top and 1 on the face that take 1/4-20 hex nuts or hex head bolts for easily attaching featherboards and fixtures. Also, on the face side is a 3/4 inch thick piece of UMHW polyethelyne to give you a slippery surface on the lower fence face and blade protection (they sell replacement UMHW strips for it). Their website is www.ptreeusa.com (http://www.ptreeusa.com) The part is called a Uni-T-Fence and it comes in three lengths 16, 36 ,and 43 inches. The part numbers are 1114 for the 16" , 1112 for the 36" and 1113 for the 43 inch. The 43 inch length is $89.95. The 16" version is great for acting as a length stop when making repeat cross cuts using the miter gauge, and it's cheaper than the now discontinued short Delta Unifence that was designed for this purpose.

Charley
Yes it looks like a nice fence. But for now I have the $89 in my pocket untill I need that fence. Thanks for the refrence to it.