PDA

View Full Version : Jet 1642 EVS set up question

Wolf Kiessling
05-07-2004, 1:01 PM
The deck in the shop is pretty level and it looks like the leveling legs that came with the new Jet 1642 are not necessary. However, I could use another inch or two of height but am not at all interested in building anything to raise the machine up.

My question is thus, can I use the leveling legs, pretty much fully extended, to raise the lathe? Will they support the 420 lbs plus any vibration that will be induced when it is in operation? I am certain that if I used the levelers pretty much screwed all the way into the leg assy that it would cause no problem but I'm talking about maybe screwing them in just far enough so that most of the threads will be below the machine leg assy. I also plan to build a box, using Dominic Greco's design, to hold the sand bags for additional weight so that will have to be considered also. Dominic has a nice design for trestle legs that he built for his Jet but I don't want to go to that much trouble.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Stefan Antwarg
05-07-2004, 3:04 PM
I have the 1442, which is the same leg design. I would be leary of raising the levelers too much. Just seems like an awful lot of weight. OTOH, if that is what comes with the legs, you would think Jet would have tested this and provided levelers that can be fully extended.

I didn't make the box that Dominic made, but I did make a simple shelf that was described in the manual. I was able to fit 250 Lbs. of sand on it laying it side to side. But there is no question that his plan is the best way to go.

Stefan

Richard Allen
05-07-2004, 3:12 PM
Hi Wolf

If it sounds like a gloat it liekly is a gloat. Enjoy the new lathe. It will make you worry more about design than about how you are going to attach a hunk of wood so you can turn it.

The leveling legs are to make sure the load is distributed evenly, front and rear. Doing so can make a big difference in how solid the lathe is.

I think you alread know the answer to your question about height adjustment. Do you really need us to say it's okay or to say it's not okay? You just took delivery of an expensive machine. Do you want to trust the stablity of this machine to 2" of threaded rod at each corner?

Thanks

Dominic Greco
05-07-2004, 4:13 PM
Wolf,
If you're not in the mood to make a set of trestle legs like I did, remove the leveler pads, mill a (2) 2x4s to the height you want and slip one under each side.

To make sure it stays in place drill a hole in the 2x4 that corresponds to the position of the tapped hole in the legs. Insert a short length of 3/8" all thread down through the tapped hole in the cast iron leg, and into the drilled hole to act as a dowel and those legs will go no where!

In order to make sure that the weight is concentrated on (4) points, rather than across the flat of the 2x4, you might want to cut a recess into the underside of the legs as I have shown in the picture below.

Good luck.

Wolf Kiessling
05-07-2004, 4:21 PM
Hi Wolf

If it sounds like a gloat it liekly is a gloat. Enjoy the new lathe. It will make you worry more about design than about how you are going to attach a hunk of wood so you can turn it.

The leveling legs are to make sure the load is distributed evenly, front and rear. Doing so can make a big difference in how solid the lathe is.

I think you alread know the answer to your question about height adjustment. Do you really need us to say it's okay or to say it's not okay? You just took delivery of an expensive machine. Do you want to trust the stablity of this machine to 2" of threaded rod at each corner?

Thanks

THAT REALLY WAS NOT INTENDED TO BE A GLOAT, but, in retrospect, I guess it was. I actually had intended to gloat after I got it all assembled and going round and round. Also, I REALLY DID want another opinion about using the levelers to raise the machine. However, about 15 minutes after I posted that question the true answer hit me and I felt kind of stupid about that posting. I did have deep down suspicions about the stability of the levelers as an elevator and that was why I asked. Then, the answer that hit me was that I will put a chunk of 2 x 4 under each leg assy and use the leveler holes to run lag screws thru to fasten the machine to the 2x4's. That will give me the extra 1.5 inches raising the spindle height to 46". Not sure why I didn't think of that in the first place. I guess too much crap on my mind right now with trying to finish a small commission and Joyce in the hospital.

Wolf Kiessling
05-07-2004, 4:28 PM
Dominic,

Good point on that recess in the underside of the 2x4's. I would have never thought of that. Thanks.