PDA

View Full Version : Domain Request in China??

Joe Pelonio
09-05-2008, 9:18 AM
What do you make of this e-mail I rec'd this morning? Am I correct that anyone can use my domain name with a different suffix, but cannot use my already registered .com name? My research indicates that the request might have come from a laser cutting/engraving company in Pennsylvania. I personally have no interest in doing business in China.

Subj: Application Notice of "bellevuesign".asia Domain Name

Dear Manager,

We received a formal application on intending to register "bellevuesign" as their domain name and Internet brand in China and also in Asia from an investment company

yesterday. During our audit period, we find that this Investment company has no trade mark, brand or patent. As a professional institution of domain name

registration, we have reasons to suspect this investment company to be a domain name grabber. Therefore, we need your confirmation on two points as follows.

First of all, whether this investment company is your business partner or distributor in China? Secondly, whether you are interested in registering these domain

names? (According to the rules of domain name registration, the investment company will be entitled to obtain a domain name but not need the permission from the

original trademark owner.)

If you are not in charge of this issue, please transfer this email to the right department.This is a letter for confirmation. If the mentioned third party is your business

partner or distributor in China or in Asia, please DO NOT reply. We will automatically think that this application was from your business partner after our audit

period.

Your early reply will be highly appreciated! Thank for your time! Thanks!

Best regards

Alice

Asia Domain Name Registrar
TEL : 86-21-312 609 71
FAX : 86-21-312 609 72
Email: alice@asiadomainnameregistrar.com
Web: www.domainorg.net.cn (http://www.domainorg.net.cn/)

Jim Becker
09-05-2008, 9:21 AM
Contact your own domain registrar and discuss if you should reply or not.

Joe Pelonio
09-05-2008, 9:29 AM
Contact your own domain registrar and discuss if you should reply or not.

Good idea, I just sent them a copy of the email.

Jamie Delker
09-05-2008, 9:56 AM
I get these from time to time, they're simply trying to scare you into registering a domain name with them. If you have your .com registered, nobody else can use it. If you're not worried about someone else using your business name with a different extension (and I'm sure nobody is judging by this email), then I wouldn't worry about it.

Here's the operative sentence:

Secondly, whether you are interested in registering these domain names?

Just another internet scam. :)

Joe Pelonio
09-05-2008, 10:23 AM
I

Here's the operative sentence:

Just another internet scam. :)

Confirmed in a quick response from my domain registrar, a scam.