PDA

View Full Version : Starrett Combination Square

Jim Stastny
03-11-2003, 9:41 PM
Most everything I've read indicates that Starrett makes the best combination square. McFeely's has the 12" model on sale at a very good price. However, from what I can tell the body is made from cast metal rather than machined. My question: How critical is that?

Thanks for all the thoughts.

Bob Lasley
03-11-2003, 9:45 PM
Originally posted by Jim Stastny
Most everything I've read indicates that Starrett makes the best combination square. McFeely's has the 12" model on sale at a very good price. However, from what I can tell the body is made from cast metal rather than machined. My question: How critical is that?

Thanks for all the thoughts.

Jim,

All the Starrett combination squares I've seen in recent history have cast heads, however the bearing surfaces on those heads are machined.

Bob

Garrett Lambert
03-11-2003, 10:10 PM
NM

Bruce Page
03-11-2003, 10:37 PM
Jim, I think that they’ve always been cast, and in many ways a casting is better than billet machined, particularly from a stability standpoint. My 30yr old set is cast. All critical surfaces are machined & ground.

Anybody ever tell you that you look a lot like Kyle Petty?

Steve Roxberg
03-11-2003, 11:23 PM
Starret makes both a crackle finish cast iron head, and a smooth black finish steel head. Both have accurate faces that have been machined. The Steel costs more, and will resist wear better.

I love mine.

Rod Peterson
03-11-2003, 11:54 PM
<br>
Jim, I just went through much the same thing. I bought the square from McFeeley's and until I got it in my hands, had some buyer's remorse. However, once I got it, I went to my tool chest and pulled out my other squares (I have three or four of varying configurations) and asked my wife if she could tell the difference. It was no contest. I'm tossing the other ones, or throwing them in work buckets where they can't hurt anything nice.

The square that McFeeley's sends you is a C11H-12-4R. I went to the <a href=http://www.lsstarrett.com/precision1.htm>Starrett site</a> (they must be doing some testing on the site because just now you can't get beyond that link) and deciphered that to mean:<blockquote><table border="0">
<tr><td>C<td>&nbsp;&nbsp;<td>Chrome satin finish rule
<tr><td>11H<td>&nbsp;&nbsp;<td>Cast head with machined working surfaces
<tr><td>12<td>&nbsp;&nbsp;<td>12" long rule (also comes in 6, 18, 24" versions)
<tr><td>4R<td>&nbsp;&nbsp;<td>Fractional scale (16R is a metric version)
</table>
</blockquote>
In fact, Starrett does make a forged, hardened head (16H series), and the rule comes in a standard finish as well (no "C" in the model number).

As the <a href=http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/indexsuper.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=toolshop&Category_Code=TMS>Museum of Woodworking Tools Store</a> mentions, there are all sorts of combinations you can make up. And they have a nifty little calculator to help you find the square you need. Unfortunately they don't list the Starrett number that results.

I also checked prices, and although you might be able to save a dollar somewhere, that $49.95 for the C11H-12-4R is pretty good, and McFeeley's makes me want to spend the extra dollar with them.

I ordered three boxes of screws at the same time. The square was backordered, and when they shipped it, there was no extra charge for the shipment, even though the order came in two deliveries. I thought that was cool.

I'm probably going to order another one of the squares before the sale is over. Just being able to see clearly the markings on the rule is worth it, compared to some of my pretty battered squares.

You will not be sorry to order that square.

Jason Roehl
03-12-2003, 8:26 AM
I think Rod's got the ticket on this one. I bought one last fall, except I got the 33 series instead of the 11 series. The difference is that the square head is steel instead of iron, and the finish on it is smooth enamel instead of crinkle. Good or bad? I don't know, but it's at least different. The square is great, though.

Now I just want to come up with the other two heads for it, and maybe a longer scale.

Jason

Chris Damm
03-12-2003, 8:39 AM
After spending 33 years in patternmaking, I found that if you want long lasting quality you buy Starrett. I've still got tools that were my Grandfathers and he started in a shop in 1907. Chris:)

Jim Stastny
03-12-2003, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Bruce Page

Anybody ever tell you that you look a lot like Kyle Petty? [/B]

Who's Kyle Petty?

Just kidding. No one has ever said I looked like anything other than a bald-headed curmudgeon. :D

So, I thank you for the compliment

Dave Anderson NH
03-12-2003, 11:39 AM
Starrett is excellant in quality and I have some of their measuring items and have always been satisfied. Equally good are combination squares from Mitotoyo, SPI, and Browne & Sharp. The SPI stuff is a particularly good value and runs about 10-15% below the comparable Starrett product. A particularly good place to buy measuring gear is from MSC Industrial Supply through their catalog, website, or at one of their local outlets. FYI, they are nationwide. Try to get on their sale flyer list and you'll get stuff about twice a month. These flyers have some VERY good deals in them on dial calipers, dial indicators, squares, rules, and quite often diamond paste lapping compound at far lower prices than the woodworking outlets. I've no association except that they get good amounts of my money each year.

Ben Mathews
03-12-2003, 8:33 PM
I have the full Sterrett 12" set with the square, protractor, and center finder. I find that I use the compass at least as much as the square, if not more. I definitely don't regret getting the whole set at once!

Ben