PDA

View Full Version : what magazines do you subscribe to?

julie Graf
09-05-2008, 8:13 AM
looking to get some subscriptions and thought i'd ask what magazines people subscribe too. i used to get fine woodworking, but canceled it when cash was short. what other good mags are out there?

Jim Becker
09-05-2008, 8:20 AM
The only ones I subscribe to at this point are Fine Woodworking, Woodwork and a recent subscription to the ad-free Woodworking. (I just got my first issue and am pleased with the quality) The other mass-market magazines, while not bad, don't hold my interest and are way too much alike. I will say that Shopnotes and Woodsmith are very good, especially for folks who are looking for projects to do without all the advertising fluff. But I no longer take them simply because I was not building anything from them. (I have a bunch for sale to clear my shelves for the same reason...good material, but not applicable to my needs)

Prashun Patel
09-05-2008, 8:42 AM
I also think it depends what level you think yr at. I'm a (self-declared) beginner/intermediate. My favorite is Wood Magazine right now. The plans are all doable at my level, and they're almost all furniture plans - which is what I want. I think their tips are quite good too. I do hear that they repeat their plans, but for 2-3 years, it might make sense.

I get ShopNotes too, but I find the plans a little beyond me at this point; plus, it's ALL shop plans (the most furniture you'll get are plans for toolboxes). That being said, it's good for skill building. I also think it comes too infrequently (1 every 2 months).

For beginners, I still really like the Family Handyman. They always have one good wood project in each issue with an eye on ease-of-building. They also have good skill-building sections for beginners/intermediates like me).

Greg Stanford
09-05-2008, 8:42 AM
Fine Woodworking & Popular Woodworking although I think I may not renew on PW. I got Shopnotes too for awhile & it's a good one when you're starting out, setting up shop, & so on but after awhile it seemed that the articles were no longer relevant to me. The same is starting to be true of PW although I really enjoy Adam Cherubini's Arts & Mysteries column.

g

Greg Cole
09-05-2008, 9:54 AM
I'm with "Crockie" Becker here. FWW and Woodworking, I've also had a 'scrip to This Old House for awhile too.
I love the continuity of Woodworking, it basically takes one project per issueand breaks it into the various stages-steps from design, build, finish etc. The again I havent' read much from Chris Schwarz I haven't liked.
Depending on the content I buy Shop Notes, PWW, Woodsmith and Fine Home Building.
My wife just loves my stacks of them in my man cave basement....:rolleyes:

Greg

Jim Becker
09-05-2008, 1:56 PM
Greg, I do get TOH magazine which I don't consider a woodworking publication, but it's more for good bathroom reading...and was really dirt cheap. I don't keep the issues, either...when they are read, they are, umm....recycled.

Montgomery Scott
09-05-2008, 2:40 PM
I don't get magazines any more. I quit my subscription to FWW a few months ago and have an incomplete set from issue 1 through 196. I prefer books now as they go much more in depth into all concepts of woodworking.

David DeCristoforo
09-05-2008, 3:41 PM
The only one I get is the New Yorker which has absolutely nothing in it about woodworking although there is some good coverage of the "art scene". Last thing I want to read about at the end of the day is more woodworking!

Rob Russell
09-05-2008, 3:43 PM
The only woodworking mag I get now is Fine Woodworking. I let my subscriptions to Wood and American Woodworker expire some time ago.

Judy Kingery
09-05-2008, 4:26 PM
Hi Julie, we have a fair array of magazines we get and regularly read. The ones related to woodturning that I like best - or the only two woodworking magazines I take - are 'Woodturning Design," and then the AAW Journal "American Woodturner." I'd highly recommend both.

The other magazines in general we get are TX Parks & Wildlife, National Geographic, Popular Mechanics, Discover, American Heritage, Kiting, and Field & Stream.

Best to you,

Jude

James Ashburn
09-05-2008, 4:49 PM
FWW, Woodwork, and Popular Woodworking. I used to have Wood Mag, American Woodworker and the one from Rockler (Woodworker Journal?) but they featured projects and I don't like following anyone elses plans. I like learning techniques and applying them to my specific situation. I almost subscribed to the ad-free Woodworking as well but thought 3 magazines was enough. I may cancel next year because I have been reading more books from Taunton press.

Chuck Wintle
09-05-2008, 4:51 PM
looking to get some subscriptions and thought i'd ask what magazines people subscribe too. i used to get fine woodworking, but canceled it when cash was short. what other good mags are out there?

I just buy them at the newsstand when the mood strikes. :D

Dan Bertenthal
09-05-2008, 5:26 PM
I'm a really big fan of Woodworking Magazine. It's true that since the focus is on fundamentals that most of the topics will be things that list members here will have read about before, yet the authors consistently bring fresh insights and nuance that I find help me think differently about what I'm doing. I suspect that both novices and experienced woodworkers can both get something out of the articles (akin to how Disney movies can be enjoyed both by children and grown-ups -- there's one story yet there's something in it for everyone).

d

Fred Strumpf
09-06-2008, 4:07 PM
Fine Woodworking, Wooden Boat and Penthouse. Any more than that and I would have no time left for the shop.

Fred

Bruce Page
09-06-2008, 4:57 PM
Fine Woodworking
American Woodworker (going to dump this one next time around)
Popular Woodworking
Woodworkers Journal

Dennis Peacock
09-06-2008, 5:17 PM
Wood Magazine for almost 30 years - dropping it next year
Fine Woodworking for about 2 years
Shop Notes for about 4 years - dropped it
Workbench Magazine 1 year - dropped it
American Woodworking 2 years - dropped it

Checked out several others, but most rags any more are mostly advertising with very little woodworking innovations in them.

Pete Clifford
09-07-2008, 1:14 AM
Canadian Woodworking for local content. Ditto for Canadian Home Workshop.

For the neanderthal in me, WoodWorking magazine. No ads, lots of excellent articles on the fundamentals, and I enjoy the quotes sprinkled throughout the text.

Popular Woodworking for the hybrid WW in me. Chris Schwarz, Robert Lang, Glen Huey and the other contributers make projects that are within my capability to construct. I especially like Arts and Crafts/Greene and Greene, and PWW seems to feature quite a few A&C projects, like this month's feature on G&G details/joinery.

Finally, Fine Woodworking allows me to review exquisite design and joinery. It's where I'd like my skills to be, if I didn't have a day job and family responsibilities to keep me occupied.

Chris Kennedy
09-07-2008, 6:50 AM
Popular Woodworking for the most part. I'll pick up FWW every now and then, but I seem to like the projects and articles in PW better for whatever reason. I used to get Workbench, but then it changed significantly and for the worse, so no more.

Cheers,

Chris