PDA

View Full Version : "Weekend Doin's"- Polish Fest Edition

Karl Laustrup
09-05-2008, 7:33 AM
Friday September 5th, 2008

GOOD MORNING "CREEKERS".

Polish Fest you ask? Well, there is quite a large Polish population here in Wisconsin, although they come from all over the midwest to partake in this fest, and this is the weekend they get together. There is Polish food and Polka music all weekend long.

A hectic week for some reason, besides being short. We got some much needed rain yesterday and the temps went from a muggy 92 Wednesday to a high of only 53 yesterday. It was a good rain lasting all day and into the early evening. Only 3/4 of an inch but, it all soaked in. Too late for the crops, but the grass should green up again.

Not sure what I'll do for the weekend. Probably should start thinking about putting things away for the winter, as there's only a couple of weeks before the first day of autumn. UGH!!! The Badgers play, so I'll probably watch them and I'm sure I'll watch the Richmond race Saturday night. There's a lot at stake for several teams as this is the last race before the chase.

So what's happening in your part of the world? For those of you in the south east U.S., please be SAFE and don't take that hurricane lightly.

Have a great weekend and as always be SAFE.

Karl

Tyler Howell
09-05-2008, 8:30 AM
Finally a little shop time. I can't find what I need so I guess I better unpack some more boxes.
My radio station is puting on a music fest so I'll be involved wiith that. Sailing on Sun & Mon and attending another concert on Sun night.
Have a safe one

TJH

Eric Larsen
09-05-2008, 8:53 AM
1) Stairs (finally got enough balluster shoes to finish the job)

2) Finish rearranging the shop

3) Move 16 tons of pearock off the driveway and into the back yard before the HOA sends us another nastygram.

Eric

PS - You load the 16 tons, whaddaya get? Another day older and deeper in debt....

EDIT -- Sure could go for a Keilbasa steamed in beer, then grilled, instead of shoveling rock!

Jim Becker
09-05-2008, 9:02 AM
Maybe I'll make periogies in celebration, Karl... LOL

At any rate, we may have a "visitor" this weekend currently named Hanna, so I suspect I may actually get to start cleaning up the shop for some fall frolic since outdoor activities will be curtailed. Recent vacation, landscaping and work travel totally worked against any shop time and that needs to change. I may have a little pre-owned Neander gloat to play with, too, if it got shipped in time to get here today...:)

alex grams
09-05-2008, 9:11 AM
Miscellaneous small stuff around the house. Get the new sawstop in tomorrow morning so I will be busy with that most all day.

Am going to build some decent cabinets for the shop for storage. Use them as practice for different designs/techniques. Need to kind of plan ahead what I plan on storing where, so that way I can maximum storage space and make more room in the shop!

Karl Laustrup
09-05-2008, 9:12 AM
Jim, I see by your avatar that you have found some magic elixer. Perhaps you could share?

;):D:D:D:D;)

Karl

Jim Becker
09-05-2008, 9:17 AM
Jim, I see by your avatar that you have sound some magic elixer. Perhaps you could share?

Already did.... http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=91310

Steven Shelby
09-05-2008, 1:45 PM
Morning, Karl!

We have been away all week. So it'll be nice to settle in, get a few things done around the house,watch my Red Sox, Pats, and plenty of College Football! Boston College plays G-Tech... might be worth a watch. And my University of Oregon Fighting Ducks are in action as well.

As Karl has pointed out, there is plenty on the tube. I also will be watching the Richmond race. And I need to work on getting the camper ready for our trip north next week, as I will be watching the New Hampshire race from high above turn one!

Enjoy the Polish Fest. I swear, at first glance, I thought you were referring to waxing your car. Have a chunk of sausage and a couple cold ones for me!

Karl Laustrup
09-05-2008, 2:48 PM
Thanks Jim. Missed that post. Vacations are good. :)

Karl

Steve Clardy
09-05-2008, 6:25 PM
Work in shop some.

Aslo need to get in gear and get firewood up for this winter.
I usually have it up by spring every year. :o

Gonna spend a lot of time looking for dead trees for dryer wood. :rolleyes:

Mike Wilkins
09-06-2008, 9:18 AM
No outside activities in this part of the world this weekend thanks to Hanna. Since I am an insurance adjuster, I have to be on call until she visits Jim's neck of the woods. So far just a lot of wind and rain. Wind creates clean-up headaches due to the amount of detritus that blows out of the gazillion pine trees in the neighborhood.
Maybe some shop time this evening to put another coat of super blonde shellac on some Walnut side tables in progress.
Rain is on the way Jim. So get some movies and popcorn and settle in.

mark page
09-06-2008, 10:55 AM
Flying out of town for two weeks to the "mile high" city Sunday afternoon for business purposes only. Wish it was a vacation.

Bobby McCarley
09-06-2008, 2:49 PM
Well, just got power back yesterday, so haven't been able to post. But there won't be any shop time for awhile. Survived Gustav, but not totally without damage. It could have been a lot worse, but at least no water in the house. All of the damage is over the carport. Don't let anyone ever tell you log homes aren't tough. I realy believe the damage would have been worse if this was a regular gable end. The adjuster is supose to be out Monday. But now I have to decide if to start repairs now or wait until Ike and Josephine decide what they are going to do.

I wish everyone a good and safe weekend.

Take care
Bobby
Louisiana

Jerry Olexa
09-06-2008, 2:58 PM
Karl, if I were there I'd have some pierogi, kielbasa and pigs in blankets. All in my favs list.
Glued up some panels this AM. TV football this afternoon and to my son's for dinner tonight

Dennis Peacock
09-06-2008, 5:30 PM
Howdy Karl,

Sure wish I was at the polish fest with ya. ;)

Just working at the day job today and a full day and evening of bass playing at church on Sunday. Firewood cutting on Monday.

Very nice weather here since Gustav has passed by and brought us enough rain to hold us for a very long time. I'm really liking the cooler temps.

Have a great weekend..!!!!

Dennis Peacock
09-06-2008, 5:33 PM
Work in shop some.

Aslo need to get in gear and get firewood up for this winter.
I usually have it up by spring every year. :o

Gonna spend a lot of time looking for dead trees for dryer wood. :rolleyes:

Just a little "pro-crasti-nating" eh Mr. Clardy??!! :eek:

Me too.... :o :rolleyes:
I'm supposed to be cutting more firewood on Monday.

Simon Dupay
09-06-2008, 6:54 PM
Friday September 5th, 2008

GOOD MORNING "CREEKERS".

Polish Fest you ask? Well, there is quite a large Polish population here in Wisconsin, although they come from all over the midwest to partake in this fest, and this is the weekend they get together. There is Polish food and Polka music all weekend long.

A hectic week for some reason, besides being short. We got some much needed rain yesterday and the temps went from a muggy 92 Wednesday to a high of only 53 yesterday. It was a good rain lasting all day and into the early evening. Only 3/4 of an inch but, it all soaked in. Too late for the crops, but the grass should green up again.

Not sure what I'll do for the weekend. Probably should start thinking about putting things away for the winter, as there's only a couple of weeks before the first day of autumn. UGH!!! The Badgers play, so I'll probably watch them and I'm sure I'll watch the Richmond race Saturday night. There's a lot at stake for several teams as this is the last race before the chase.

So what's happening in your part of the world? For those of you in the south east U.S., please be SAFE and don't take that hurricane lightly.

Have a great weekend and as always be SAFE.

Karl
Don't have too much duck-blood soup!:D

Rich Engelhardt
09-07-2008, 6:49 AM
Hello,

The Mother of all Polish festivals takes place in Buffalo NY. on the Monday after Easter.
It's called "Dingus Day" or "Dyngus Day" - same day, different spelling.

Na Zdrowie!

Mike Heidrick
09-07-2008, 7:23 AM
Rearranging shop, putting together the horizontal mortiser, and mowing the yard is what I did Friday and Saturday. Today I will clean the JLT clamps more.