PDA

View Full Version : American Beech bowl, finish turned green.

Leo Van Der Loo
09-05-2008, 2:44 AM
I got some American Beech from my brother, as he had to remove one tree from a clump of beech trees next to his house, the branches where overhanging and rubbing on his roof.
So knowing that Beech is supposedly eager to disappoint anyone trying to turn it by splitting and checking, I was all in favor of turning it very quickly and thin so as to maybe have a whole bowl to show for the effort.
Beech is actually a nice wood, but you do need to look very close to see it, most people would call it boring, though it does finish very nicely,it is after all a pretty dense wood, anyway here it is, 14" wide and 5" tall.
All comments and replies appreciated :D

Gary Max
09-05-2008, 4:02 AM
Nice job---your first pic came out really nice.
I have turned a couple of things from Beech and I agree it's nice to work with but wants to move.

Steve Schlumpf
09-05-2008, 8:37 AM
Good looking bowl Leo! Nice size, great classic form! Really like your variation on the lip - just one of those little unexpected things! Judging on the light filtering through the bowl, it must be light as a feather! Nice work Leo!

Jim Becker
09-05-2008, 8:54 AM
Really great piece, Leo.

I happen to love the color of beech a lot. In my collection, I have a bowl turned by a local gal that is not only beech, but also spalted. Really great looking material You might want to get some of yours into that condition and try it out.

William Bachtel
09-05-2008, 9:04 AM
I have a few ruff turned Beech bowls now ready to turn, and I also have Beech logs laying on the ground, growing those nice little molded things all over them. Nice bowl, and you are right it is a nice wood.

Curt Fuller
09-05-2008, 6:35 PM
I wouldn't call it boring at all. What the beech lacks in grain and character you've made up for in the very nice bowl form and the finish. That's a very nice looking bowl.

Bernie Weishapl
09-05-2008, 11:36 PM
Very nice bowl Leo. I really like the simple form and finish.

Leo Van Der Loo
09-05-2008, 11:49 PM
Thank you all for looking and commenting.
Yes Gary it has moved a lot but it stayed in one piece :D.
Steve it is thin and light, not much good for a salad bowl I think ;)
Jim yes spalted looks great, I made a couple of candle holders for both of my sons from some spalted Beech with a hard Maple foot and dish, haven't had time to do anything with this batch of Beech, spend half the day cutting up a Walnut log (not very big) and mowed halve my lawn, started raining so the rest tomorrow :).
Good luck with your Beech bowls William, and hope the spalting will turn out real well :D
Hi Curt, no I don't call it boring wood, though some woods are more appealing, it takes good form to help the Beech get attention, helps other wood also :D :)