PDA

View Full Version : Restoration of antique bed

Doug Mason
09-05-2008, 12:05 AM
I have been anointed the task of fixing a family members 150/200 yr old string bed.

It is about eight feet long, pine, with a headboard/footboard whose tenons fit into their respective bed posts (easy to disassemble). The two long rails (around a 2 1/2 radius - very thick) are threaded on both ends and screw into the bed posts.

So here's the problem: sometime in the beds history someone made the bed longer by cutting each of rails at about 3/4 of thier lenght - then dowelling an additional foot long piece of wood between the 3/4 and 1/4 long rails--effectively making a seven foot long bed into one eight feet long. However, one of the rails gave way where the extra foot long piece was dowelled into the 3/4 piece (the inch wide dowel hole caused the failure--and there is a crack some six inches long on the 3/4 piece that goes the lenght of the dowel hole and then some). Luckly, the failure only created the long crack without allowing the dowel to come clean through--but it was enough to cause the rail to sink about a half-foot.

So what is my best fix for this? I was thinking of epoxy--but I tend to believe it will be a matter of time before the epoxy gives. Any thoughts on the best repair?

Jamie Buxton
09-05-2008, 1:19 AM
Is there space to sister on another board on the inside face of the rail? It would cross the breaks in the rail, and take up the loads. It would be screwed and/or glued to the inside face.

David DeCristoforo
09-05-2008, 1:10 PM
"...sister on another board on the inside face of the rail?"

I'm seeing steel here! 1/4" X the width of the rail a couple of feet long drilled and countersunk for lots of screws.

Jim Holman
09-06-2008, 8:05 AM
Make new rails of the length you need and keep the old ones in a closet somewhere. I have "modernized" several over the years. It is lasting solution.

Stephen Shepherd
09-06-2008, 9:04 AM
Do not use epoxy or other modern glues on a piece of antique furniture. It is possible to restore this rope bed without effecting its value. Use hide glue, the same stuff that was used on the bedstead when it was originally constructed. Hide glue is also much easier to repair than modern glues.

If you use modern glue you will decrease its value. That may not be important to you or your family, but someone in the future will appreciate it if it is properly restored.

Stephen