PDA

View Full Version : New clamps pic and cleaning up the steel question

Mike Heidrick
09-04-2008, 11:13 PM
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e169/BloomingtonMike/jlt.jpg

Picked up a CL find of a JLT 8' Panel clamp assembly stand last weekend. It has 18 very heavy duty steel 40"clamps. They have a bit of dust/dirt/and a small amount of glue on some of them. I want to clean them up good before I start using them. What cleaner would you recommend on them?

mike holden
09-05-2008, 7:33 AM
If it were me, I would use liquid WD-40 (buy the can of liquid rather than the spray can - same stuff, but cheaper) and a stiff brush to clean it - OUTDOORS! Use a thick scraper to take off the glue, and wipe with more WD-40. Clean, not too obnoxious smelling, and after a night outdoors or in the garage, bring it in and put more glue on it (grinnn!) by using it.
I see dining room tables in your future.
Nice find.
Mike

jud dinsmore
09-05-2008, 9:42 AM
the manufacture (jlt) recommends a product called bates boothcoating. i ran into a guy that use to work for them at the auction where i bought mine. he also said to use a plastic scraper when scraping. good luck.

jud

Mike Heidrick
09-05-2008, 1:50 PM
A couple people asked me about the clamps. These are JLT panel clamps.

From the product info at jltclamps dot com on the 8' panel clamp (they have 6' and 12' as well) -You can also bolt together more of them.

"The Heavy Duty Taylor Clamp"
- Guaranteed Never
to Twist, Bow
or Bend
- Lifetime Warranty
on All Welded Components
- Commercial Grade - Built to Last

http://www.jltclamps.com/images/products/4.jpg

Rack offers (5) levels for glue ups
-Clamps hang on each level at a 20 degree down angle / clamps can easily slide side to side on each level
-Clamps are easily removed individually and moved from level to level
-Rack has the capacity to hold up to 30 clamps
-Vertical clamp hanger feature, hang clamps vertical when not in use
-100% Welded Steel construction, Lifetime warranty on all welded components

Many uses including:
Door Panels, Shelving, Mouldings, Butcher Block, Table Tops, Hand Rails, Turnings, Stair Treads, Lumber Banding,
Waste Recovery, etc.

Final set up dimensions: 97”L X 70” X 48”W
Shipping dimensions: 100”L X 30”H X 44”W (This is for a standard package, additional clamps may alter shipping dimensions)
Shipping weight: 850 lbs. (Standard package weight, additional clamps will add additional weight)