PDA

View Full Version : Our machine is Supposed to arrive tomorrow.

David Dustin
09-04-2008, 10:57 PM
Our universal machine is scheduled to arrive tomorrow.
We have prepared the area by:
1. Installing the fume extractor
2. Installing a dedicated electrical circuit
3. Installing a 16 port Ethernet switch
4. Adding lighting
5. Purchased a wide variety of products to test with.
6. Computer with 19" flat panel
We are very anxious to start playing.
(Our unit is a Universal machine with the High density optics option).

I'll let you know how it goes..

David

Jim Watkins
09-04-2008, 11:07 PM
Laser engraving is a lot of fun. Good luck David.

Scott Erwin
09-05-2008, 11:45 AM
Hope your new adventure turns out well....

I know it is a big learning curve, but everyone here is willing to help.

David Fairfield
09-05-2008, 1:43 PM
I remember when my machine got here... it was like getting a new puppy, except this puppy was really hard to get down the stairs. :D

I also remember the first time the machine made a noise that sounded "bad" I just about jumped out of my skin. The auto focus plunger struck the ruler bar and "bent." :eek: Well, not really, its spring loaded, but I didn't know that at the time! Then there was some very nutty stuff using Adobe Illustrator that took a long while to sort out completely.

I'm still figuring out what this machine can do, but its been pretty smooth sailing now. :)

Dave

Jim Watkins
09-05-2008, 2:03 PM
I don't know about anyone else, but I removed my Autofocus device and never use it. I always, without exception, manually focus. Mostly due to the problem David described. I don't want to chance breaking my machine or damage a piece I am working on.

I am glad I did too.

David Fairfield
09-05-2008, 2:27 PM
Jim, I was considering doing the same. I never use autofocus, its useless for me. I'm just concerned without the plunger to stop the table, is the lens itself now at risk??

Jim Watkins
09-05-2008, 7:55 PM
David,
I don't know what unit you have, but I have the Epilog Mini 24 and the table can't go up high enough by itself to hurt the lens. However with a piece on it that could be a concern.

I just always lower the table well below what I need, insert the piece to be engraved, place the focusing mecinism on, and raise up till it touches. Then your in business.

For the Epilog I just need to make sure to keep the "Autofocus" button unchecked in the driver and then the table will not move on it's own.

Like you, I stopped using it after the first few weeks. It's a cool idea, but I trust my own eyes.

Scott Shepherd
09-05-2008, 8:28 PM
Well David, did it make it? Did the stork arrive today? Technician come by and slap the baby on it's bottom and get it started?

One thing that's still the same for me 1 year after ours arrived. It's still way smarter than I am.

David Dustin
09-05-2008, 8:55 PM
Well the machine arrived today and we spent most of the day being trained.

There are a few things I need to sort out, but I'll probably ask those questions individually.

The High density optics do indeed mark on stainless steel without the need for coatings or tape.
We could not however, get even the faintest mark on gold, try as we may.
Has anyone had any luck with it (gold).

Thanks for all the well wishes!!!

David

Ed Maloney
09-06-2008, 12:15 PM
David - I don't see an air compressor on your list.

David Dustin
09-06-2008, 1:16 PM
David - I don't see an air compressor on your list.
Yeah we have one.

We have had a couple of problems with our new system but want to give the vendor time to respond before we say much more.
I'll give them till Monday morning...
David