PDA

View Full Version : I actually got hurt by a Sawstop!!!

mark page
09-04-2008, 10:34 PM
Was my second time disecting a sawstop and admiring the quality that went into building this tank. (Sans all the electrical safeguards). I was spinning the arbor from the drive belt inside the case and admiring the smoothness of the total system. I got my finger caught between the belt and pulley. I felt like a dumbass.:o:o:o Salesman did state that this was a first for him.

Mike Heidrick
09-04-2008, 11:01 PM
In looking at the serpantine belt and the tension that is on it in my sawstop I bet thet was very hard to do. :confused:

mark page
09-04-2008, 11:16 PM
Mike,
I was like a kid in a candy store with a grin on my face. I was pulling down quickly multiple times on the secondary drive belt. My index finger got caught up between the pulley and belt on the inner side. My finger thankfully did not go the complete turn between the two, or I could have ended up with a broken finger or worse a possible partial missing finger. Have a very large "blood blister" pinch and hurt like hell at the time. But looking backwards, we all had a good laugh at the store.

Mike Heidrick
09-04-2008, 11:37 PM
Mark, glad you are OK! That would have been very bad. You would be the first reported guy to loose a finger tip to a sawstop that I have read about!

Eddie Darby
09-05-2008, 4:07 AM
Im not 100% sure about this, so don't quote me, but I may be the first person to hurt my thumb with a hammer.:D

Denny Rice
09-05-2008, 5:00 AM
This just proves my earlier post(s).......Just because you own a SAWSTOP or even looking at a sawstop doesn't mean your not going to get hurt...Glad all you got was a blister...A 10" or 12" spinning blade is dangerous in any machine.

Mike Sheppard
09-05-2008, 8:53 AM
Im not 100% sure about this, so don't quote me, but I may be the first person to hurt my thumb with a hammer.:D
Eddie
No you are not. :D

Mike

Bill Roland
09-05-2008, 9:11 AM
Speaking of thumbs and hammers, when I was a teenager I was helping my grandfather put a tin roof on the barn and of course I hit my thumb. My grandfather had a good laugh and I went to the house to bandage it. On my way back to the barn I met my grandfather, he had this hangdog look on his face because he had hit his thumb also. So I had the last laugh.

Greg Cole
09-05-2008, 9:41 AM
I felt like a dumbass.:o:o:o Salesman did state that this was a first for him.

Was it Tim at Overland Tool in North KC???
If it was him, I can imagine him laughing at your silly posterior too.

Greg

mark page
09-05-2008, 7:04 PM
Greg, it wasn't at Overlands. This happened a week ago and out of town & hopefully no one knows me there. If they read this they will find out who I am. But I have suffered enough embarrassment already over this one. I do gotta say, that is the smoothest and easiest running drive system I've ever come across on a table saw. I expected a little more resistance in the system than what I found. This is the first time I ever got wounded from a power tool that was unplugged, unless your counting dropping one on my feet or tweaking my back from moving one, lol. It all goes back to when I was a kid and my father always saying "keep your hands out of those fan belts"!!!!!

Mike Heidrick
09-05-2008, 7:10 PM
Was my second time disecting a sawstop and admiring the quality that went into building this tank. (Sans all the electrical safeguards). I was spinning the arbor from the drive belt inside the case and admiring the smoothness of the total system. I got my finger caught between the belt and pulley. I felt like a dumbass.:o:o:o Salesman did state that this was a first for him.

You know what is seriosly funny about this, on the door you opened there is a warning and a caution/safety picture of a finger getting caught in the belts. You were warned!

mark page
09-06-2008, 12:26 AM
Gotta admit Mike, that I seriously didn't notice it. I was goin straight for the goods!!!!:D:D:D

Al Navas
09-06-2008, 8:27 AM
Mark,

I will try to get something built around the motor cover side of the Uni when I know you are coming up - that way we will avoid most mishaps... :cool: :)

I am glad you did not do anything more nasty. A blood blister is bad enough.

Alan Schaffter
09-06-2008, 11:15 AM
I thought you were going to say the hurt was in your back pants pocket . . . in the area of your wallet!

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/images/smilies/rotflm.gif

Bruce Page
09-06-2008, 11:41 AM
Mike,
I was like a kid in a candy store with a grin on my face. I was pulling down quickly multiple times on the secondary drive belt. My index finger got caught up between the pulley and belt on the inner side. My finger thankfully did not go the complete turn between the two, or I could have ended up with a broken finger or worse a possible partial missing finger. Have a very large "blood blister" pinch and hurt like hell at the time. But looking backwards, we all had a good laugh at the store.
Sure glad we’re not related. :D

Seriously, I’m glad it was not worse - it could’ve been.

Wilbur Pan
09-06-2008, 12:02 PM
I can't believe someone hasn't made a crack yet about why the SawStop braking mechanism isn't hooked up to the drive pulleys. ;)

Michael King
09-06-2008, 1:09 PM
Sorry you got hurt, but I feel your pain. Last year I was helping the maintenance men at our school move a new Sawstop into the school shop when my thumb got smashed, no, crushed, flat as a pancake, between the cast iron table top and the door jamb. Entire thumb nail popped up and out, required one surgery, 12 stitches, and about a year of pain. And I thought I was the only one to get hurt by a Sawstop! We are probably a small club :)

mark page
09-07-2008, 8:08 AM
Bruce,
You didn't change your avatar just on my behalf did you?????:o

Al,
When I get a chance to visit. I will know that you're thinking about my safety and friendship first (and not embarrassment), when I see a bunch of kiddie fences and gates around your equipment!!!!:D:D:D

Al Navas
09-07-2008, 8:13 AM
...When I get a chance to visit. I will know that you're thinking about my safety and friendship first (and not embarrassment), when I see a bunch of kiddie fences and gates around your equipment!!!!:D:D:D

Mark,

Just yesterday I asked my daughter if I could borrow two of the kiddie gates she has left over after moving into her new home... :D How is that for telepathy? :cool: But my order for some 2 X 4s is in...

Heather Thompson
09-07-2008, 9:05 AM
Mark,

Good thing it was not more serious, you would have to change your signature line, and that would look really strange.

Heather :p

Bruce Page
09-07-2008, 12:54 PM
Bruce,
You didn't change your avatar just on my behalf did you?????:o

LOL!
Nah, I was getting tired of looking at my old dog's mug.