PDA

View Full Version : Found large Urethane tyres

Rick Fisher
09-04-2008, 9:26 PM
Well, I thought I would share this in case anyone with a larger bandsaw is looking for Tyres.

I needed 24" tyres and want Urethane. So I called Carter, house of tools, the local saw shop and the internet. Couldnt find anything and was told they stopped at 20".

Then, I called the manufacturer in Ohio. Sulpher Grove Tool.
They manufacture the red urethane bandsaw tyres for other companies. I told him my plight and he said, "sure, I will have a set made for you".

So I ordered them, he gave me some install tip's and said he would ship them out tomorrow.

So if you have a larger band saw and are told you cannot get urethane wheels, try sgtool@woh.rr.com

The price was $50.00 for the set. Seemed fair enough. He said none of the retailers sell his product in large sizes because its a small market, so he would be happy to help me out.

I expect them in about a week. :D

Joe Meazle
09-05-2008, 2:15 AM
I have used those before. I bought tires for my 16" Tannewitz form them. I still ended up gluing the on though. I also bout a link belt for my drill press from them.

I think I a going to try to get the tires I have to work. I resurfaced them and they are not too bad. I am very intrested in the tounge and groove tires on the Centauro/SCMI/Minnimax. When I do replace my tires i will most likley give them a try.

Rick Fisher
09-25-2008, 12:02 AM
Well. This wasnt a popular thread.. :)

I got my tires today. They showed up just as ordered. It took a while for them to go through customs, into Canada.

I would recommend these folks for bandsaw tires.

Ron Dunn
09-25-2008, 3:00 AM
Agree 100%.

I ordered them for my Inca bandsaw and couldn't be more happy ... both with the tyres, and the service from Sulphur Grove.

Phil Thien
09-25-2008, 8:36 AM
How difficult is it to install a 24" tire? Not that it will even be an issue for me, just wondering...

Jeff Clow
09-25-2008, 11:08 AM
I tried a set on a 16" Walker-Turner, which has flat wheels. With no crown on the wheels, there is no crown to the tires. The ureathane tires aren't really thick enough to cut a crown into. The also started coming off the wheels (they were not glued).
I'm going back to thicker rubber ones that can be crowned. I will be gluing them to the wheels also.
I don't think this is really a problem with the tires, they just don't work on this machine.

Wilbur Pan
09-25-2008, 11:32 AM
I also have a 16" Walker-Turner, and put urethane tires on it. So far no problems with slippage, and I figured out a way to put a crown on the tires. Basically, I rigged up a jig to hold the wheel and used my lathe as a disc sander. The crown was established by tilting the bandsaw wheel towards the sanding disc at a slight angle, and then rotating the wheel.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3031/2476894833_dea2f566c5.jpg

Rick Fisher
09-25-2008, 11:54 PM
I took a quick stab at installing them.

How much do you have to stretch these things?

They seem way too small..

The package says 24". Never having installed them before, I would guess they are too small..

Robert MacKinnon
09-26-2008, 12:34 AM
I've read that you can soak the tires in hot water to make them more pliable and easier to fit.

Wilbur Pan
09-26-2008, 6:19 AM
You have to put a decent amount of force into stretching them onto the wheels. Along with soaking them in hot water, I used spring clamps to help hold the tires in place, and dowels that were 6" long or so to help lever them onto the wheel, working my way around and using more spring clamps along the way. If you've changed a bicycle tire, it's the same type of approach.

Ron Dunn
09-26-2008, 6:52 AM
Rick, did you follow the instructions and soak in hot (not boiling) water before trying to fit?

Mine were so easy, but they were smaller wheels ... perhaps this makes a difference.