PDA

View Full Version : My First MF Plane

Randy Klein
09-04-2008, 9:10 PM
My rust hunt this past weekend was pretty weak. But I did find my first Millers Falls plane in the wild. I originally was thinking of selling it, but it cleaned up so nice, it's a keeper now.

It's a No. 14, about the size of a Stanley No. 5.

I may have to find more of these....

Greg Stanford
09-04-2008, 9:44 PM
Wow, that did clean up pretty. Do you know if there is a good resource for dating the MF planes?

g

Bill Houghton
09-04-2008, 9:49 PM
Randy Roeder's page might be helpful: http://oldtoolheaven.com/index.html

James Mittlefehldt
09-05-2008, 6:10 AM
Wonder what the general opinion on MF planes is. I have noticed that they always seem quite beefy and heavy, look like good users. Saw one at a flea market recently looked like it was almost new out of the box, for $95. a model 22 which would I gather be equivalent to a NO 7.

Mike Cutler
09-05-2008, 6:27 AM
Wonder what the general opinion on MF planes is. I have noticed that they always seem quite beefy and heavy, look like good users. Saw one at a flea market recently looked like it was almost new out of the box, for $95. a model 22 which would I gather be equivalent to a NO 7.

They're not bad planes. Like Stanley, I'm sure they had their good years and bad.
I have an MF Plane in my "Flea Market Collection",and it's nice plane. Feels good in the hand, sole is flat, nice weight, no chatter. The depth adjusting knob and yoke are a little on the sloppy side , but not enough to stop the plane from working properly.
$95.00 seems a little steep, but if the plane is in as good a condition as you say, it could be worth the price.

Randy
Nice gloat, and thanks for sharing it with us.
My MF isn't near as nice looking as yours, maybe I'll have to clean it up some more.;)

Randy Klein
09-05-2008, 6:56 AM
Saw one at a flea market recently looked like it was almost new out of the box, for $95.

I only payed $13. :D There was actually another MF 14 there as well for $15 but it was in rough shape. I agree that $95 is asking way too much, I think they go for ~$30 on the bay.

John Schreiber
09-05-2008, 11:00 AM
Nice find and a nice job cleaning up. The question though is how does it cut?

Clint Jones
09-05-2008, 11:26 AM
Thats a nice looking MF plane you have there. It should provide years of use. It looks like a type 3. My favorite are the type 2 because of the cocobolo handle and red on the cap (yes the type 1 also have them but are hard to find and can get expensive)

I dont think $95 is way out of line for a 22 if it is in perfect shape. If it is a type 1 or 2 if you can get $15 or $20 off I think you have a winner. Sometimes MF planes go for crazy prices on ebay. I sold a No.8 (No.3 size) type 2 a year ago for $130 on ebay :eek: It was in perfect shape but not worth that.

I tried to narrow my shelf planes down to Stanley but here are a few MF that have stayed......for now.

Mike Cutler
09-05-2008, 3:42 PM
Clint

I don't know how you do it, but I find it amazing that you have so many of the original boxes for the planes. :confused:,:cool: