PDA

View Full Version : Shopfox Moulder

Gary Sutherland
09-04-2008, 7:28 PM
I've thought for a long time that a W&H or ShopFox moulder would be a great machine to have (a need it or just want it dilemma).

At the current sale price, the ShopFox is a great deal However, I had a few questions, and called Grizzly.

1- Is it being discontinued?
2- If so, what will be parts availability?
3- If it is being discontinued, is there a new model coming out?
4- It there will be a new model, are there any significant changes or improvements I might want to consider when deciding to buy now or later?

I have other Grizzly stuff, and I'm not worried about customer service, and really not much about parts either, because I've read a lot of posts praising their parts service and prices. These seemed like reasonable, simple questions though, but when I called Grizzly the customer service lady knew nothing about it, not even that it was on sale. She was very nice, but had NO information.

Has anyone here heard anything about the future of this machine?

BTW, the ONLY bad thing I have read about these was someone commenting that there were a lot of them at the tent sale with dismantled gear boxes. If you have one of these with a lot of hours on it, have you experienced any problems?

Thanks...

Gary

John Shuk
09-04-2008, 8:54 PM
Keith Outten has one and has absolutely raved about the quality and usefulness of his.
If I recall correctly it was pretty interchangable with the WH moulder.

Jim Hill
09-04-2008, 9:20 PM
Gary,

I was really in the same predicament as you. Not really a need, but a want. I think it would be great to be able to make my own mouldings. The sale price of the Shop Fox really put it within reach (or maybe easier to justify)-the W & H variable speed runs about $2700. With that said, I called and spoke to a floor salesman. I explained what I wanted to do, and also questioned whether the vs or single speed would make a big difference. The gentleman was very upfront. If I remember everything correctly, he said the product was an excellent machine, but was being discontinued.....something to do with a, I think, patent infringement. He said he couldn't promise how long parts would be available. He also said that when the present inventory was sold, that would be it. He said that the vs model was selling at a brisker pace and felt that it would be sold out this week. The single speed model wasn't expected to sell out as quickly. He then went on to say that he had bought the vs model several months back....a customer return, or damaged in shipping thing-don't remember which. I asked if there were many damaged in shipping or returned, and he said not very many, but being an employee did have its advantages-he was more in tune to what was available. The knives are interchangealbe with the W & H. The rest of the tool parts are not. He thought the most concerning part might be the vs unit (sprockets). He said that he runs smaller pieces thru at a fast rate, and wider boards at much slower rate. Since I am a hobbiest, and Shop Fox has a two year warranty, I didn't think I would have much risk. I have owned several Grizzly tools in the past, and have not had any issues with them. I only have an 8" jointer now, as the other tools were sold/traded up for more needed equipment. Down the road, I can probably, if needed, sell this unit and it would have a very low net "cost" for having it (purchase price less the resale price). I ordered the vs speed model, and it should be here on Monday. It's already shipped and sitting at a trucking terminal about 100 miles away. I also ordered a couple sets of knives. The first set, shipped from the closest distribution center, arrived today. The knives arrived undamaged, but I was suprised at how they were shipped. The knives were bundled together in a tight "plastic wrap" then put in a box with "peanuts". The box was pretty well smashed by UPS, and the knives had shifted to the edge of the box. As I said, they were undamaged, but I would think that wrapping them in kraft paper would provide more protection in shipping. I am excited about receiving the moulder; my wife encouraged me to order it while I could.

Jim

Jim Nardi
09-04-2008, 10:06 PM
There are very few parts that break on a shaper. Chances are you'll only change the bearings. There are very very few companies that make shapers so chances are any parts you need will be out there for some years. Tooling cost's way more than the shaper and can be used on any machine.

David Tiell
09-04-2008, 10:20 PM
I'm interested in one of these as well. My question is whether the variable speed version is worth the additional $200. Anybody have experience with them and can tell me?

Thanks,

Dave

Jay Brewer
09-04-2008, 10:33 PM
I have owned the V/S one for about a year. I installed a Wixey DRO on it, write down the height #'s for all the different knives and can go back to the right depths very quickly.These are great little machines. At the sale prices they are a steal. I really dont see alot of things that can go wrong with it. The only part that might be hard to find latter on is the V/S motor. The gear boxes are only on the single speed machines, the V/S is just some chain and sprockets.

I use to buy a special crown moulding for my cabinets that was $30 for a 8' piece. I know have the knives to make it myself for about $3 a peice. It dosent take long to pay for the machine like that.

Jay Brewer
09-04-2008, 10:39 PM
I'm interested in one of these as well. My question is whether the variable speed version is worth the additional $200. Anybody have experience with them and can tell me?

Thanks,

Dave

Hi Dave, I personally think it is worth it. I have the V/S and a friend has a single speed WH. Mine makes much less chatter marks then his. Means less sanding, to me means well worth the extra cost:D

Don Abele
09-04-2008, 11:23 PM
Gary, I've had mine for about 9 months and have since run about 5000 linear feet through it now. I've replaced all the moulding in my house around all the doors and windows, plus all the base. I installed crown in the living room, dining room, and kitchen. I also milled all the chair rail for the dining room as well.

I worked with the W&H at work and it's an awesome machine, but much more expensive than the ShopFox. In my use of them both, they are very equally matched. With all the material I've run through mine I'm pretty confident in making that statement. I have no hesitancy in recommending the ShopFox - even if it is being discontinued, which I've not heard about. The knives are interchangeable between the two, and I've now accumulated about a dozen different profiles.

Mine is the variable speed unit and I highly recommend it if you are going to run large profiles like crown. I slow it down and it comes out almost glass smooth. I do pre-remove some material with the table saw on my really large crown. The W&H has a multi-pass attachment that allows you to take a lighter cut and then a final cut. I don't see a need for it with the VS and with removing some material first. For most of my profiles, I throw the stock straight through - no problem.

This machine has more than paid for itself in the less than year I've owned it and I can see it continuing to be a valuable tool in the shop.

Be well,

Doc

Ron Bontz
09-05-2008, 12:40 AM
OK. So now I am curious. Is this an electronic variable speed or do you have to change gears like the jet planer molder? Sorry for my ignorance. :confused: I noticed they sell conversion kits for about $200.00 as well. Does anyone know anything about the bearings in the Shop Fox models? Many thanks to every one and anyone.

Eric Larsen
09-05-2008, 12:50 AM
[threadjack mode ON]

OK, I NEED a molder. I absolutely must have one. Actually, I *do* have one in the form of a Jet JPM 13 Planer/Molder.

I'm not all that ecstatic about it. I think it's underpowered for what I want to do (3 inch plantation shutter slats -- I see problems in my near future.)

I also have a Griz 15" planer that I really like. I got it for nothing recently, and it rocks. It's already rigged for 220v. It cuts oak like butter at 16fpm. I can increase to 20fpm for softer woods.

What I don't have is a lot of space. I just lost 1/4 of my workshop to a sander.

So here are my options --

1) Sell BOTH machines, and buy a 15" planer/molder. Griz sells one, but it doesn't have the oomph that my standalone 15" planer has. (2hp 110v vs. 3 hp 220v)

2) Sell the Jet and buy a dedicated molder.

3) Sell both planers AND my PM60 jointer, and find a planer/jointer combo, AND a dedicated molder.

Are there any other options?

Eric

Stan Urbas
09-05-2008, 9:54 AM
For those still shopping, I see that Griz still has the SF molder/planer on sale on its WEB site.

As for VS, I can't imagine anyone getting by with a fixed speed machine, unless you are confined to soft woods. I have found that high speed on certain hardwoods can produce some very rough results.

Don Abele
09-05-2008, 11:38 AM
...Is this an electronic variable speed or do you have to change gears like the jet planer molder?...

Ron, it's an electronic speed controller. No gears to change. Just turn the knob.

Be well,

Doc

Shiraz Balolia
09-05-2008, 11:57 AM
We have plenty of parts in stock, so I do not see a problem at this time.

These models are being discontinued. Such incredible pricing will never be available again. A new, patent pending model will be available in a few months and will be substantially more money. The current close out priced machines are a screaming deal and are selling very fast!

Eric Larsen
09-05-2008, 12:13 PM
Can you tell us more about the new model?

We have plenty of parts in stock, so I do not see a problem at this time.

These models are being discontinued. Such incredible pricing will never be available again. A new, patent pending model will be available in a few months and will be substantially more money. The current close out priced machines are a screaming deal and are selling very fast!

Jim Hill
09-05-2008, 1:22 PM
Thanks for your comments Shiraz. I just received my vs moulder this morning. Although it's not put together yet, everything looks great.

Jim

David Freed
09-05-2008, 2:28 PM
For those still shopping, I see that Griz still has the SF molder/planer on sale on its WEB site.

Why is Grizzly selling Shop Fox equipment? I thought they were competitors.

Jim Becker
09-05-2008, 2:31 PM
Why is Grizzly selling Shop Fox equipment? I thought they were competitors.

Umm...no. Interrelated companies via ownership. ShopFox (Woodstock International) is primarily for the brick and mortar retail re-sale market which Griz is direct sales. But there are a few unique products in the ShopFox livery that are also sold direct by Griz.

And as Shiraz stated, this is a screaming good deal if you need a molder...

James Manning
09-05-2008, 11:29 PM
I have had mine for going on 2 yrs now and love it......:D It makes cutting large cove's for the tops of cabinets and hutches real easy. When I bought mine the single speed was the only option, last christmas I added the upgrade vs option......;)

See thread below for the vs install if you buy the single speed version.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=73715

Steve Rowe
09-06-2008, 1:33 AM
Shopfox had two of the new model molders at the IWF which I inspected closely. Brochures on the new unit were not even printed yet. I had looked at the closeout model a little over a year ago. I offer the following observations as comparison between the two units. Bear with me as this may not be 100% accurate - after all, it is my memory and it isn't what it used to be.
The new model has a much longer feed table than the original. I would estimate the new table length at 24 - 30 inches. The closeout model has rollers mounted to the stand while the new model does not.
The new model has a cast iron frame with the head moving on dovetailed ways. The old model is like the W&H and rides on 2 posts.
The longer table has T slots milled into the bed at the infeed and outfeed. Steel guides are attached via the T slots. I don't recall how the closeout model guides are mounted but I don't recall T slots milled in the bed.
The base is totally enclosed on the new model vs. the closeout model that is open.
The hood on the new molder is slightly different and the sales folks seemed to make a big deal over the plastic see through window to see that the chip collection is functioning properly.
The controls are mounted on a post and appear to be more convenient than the original model.
The cutterhead now has a ledge on it like the W&H to align the knife projection from the cutterhead. When I looked at the previous model last year, I distinctly remember the cutterhead did not have that ledge and seemed to be a weakness when compared to the W&H.
The variable feed looked like the same unit as used on the previous model.
A Shelix type cutterhead is available as an option on the new model. I don't remember whether this was truly the Shelix brand as offered by Byrd Tool.
Overall, I would say the new model has a number of significant feature improvements over the closeout model.
Steve

Yuchol Kim
09-06-2008, 2:05 AM
They still have the VS models in stock.
In fact, I called this morning, they held one for me without my CC info.
Drove up, picked it up. Warehouse guy said he had been shipping a lot of these in the past week.

William Hutchinson
09-06-2008, 10:49 AM
Mismatched moldings was evidence of the additions to the century old farm house I purchased. I want to bring a level consistency to the finish work.
Pricing finished molding for a two story house, led me to start looking for a used machine. From the few I saw; either they wanted as much as a new machine or they were in such disrepair and still wanted way too much. It seemed their attitude was, if you don't want it--someone else will. I noticed the CL listings for molders didn't last more than a day.
When I saw the reduced price for the Shop Fox, it was an easy decision. Order 8/22/08, delivered 8/27 and setup 8/30.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/wlhutch/moulderdelivery08-29-08.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/wlhutch/moulder08-08.jpg