PDA

View Full Version : Festool

Steven Bolton
09-04-2008, 6:02 PM
I don't know anything about Festool tools except they are good quality. Do they make a tablesaw? Does the system have something that takes the place of a tablesaw?

thanks

Steve Bolton

Eric DeSilva
09-04-2008, 6:27 PM
Festool does not make a TS. Festool has a "multifunction table" or MFT that works in conjunction with its TS55 and TS75 circ saws. Both TS saws are track saws that are designed to be used in conjunction with guiderails, and the guiderails can be squared up accurately on the MFT, and have zero clearance features that allow clean cuts without chip outs.

I have an MFT, but I'm not lining up to get rid of my cabinet saw. If you were seriously space constrained, the Festool system w/o a TS might make some sense, but I tend to think of it more as a RAS replacement than a TS replacement. Frankly, I use the TS system really for breaking down large sheet goods. It is very clean and accurate, however--the margin I used to leave behind to clean up on the TS is getting smaller and smaller as I develop faith in my TS55. Frankly, if I was doing utility cabinets, I might even skip the TS.

That said, depending upon the type of woodworking one does, you might be able to dispense with the TS. I have heard that there are people who have done exactly that. But, it seems to me that nothing is going to replace the accuracy and flexibility of a TS in the near term for me.

jason lambert
09-04-2008, 6:31 PM
No they do not make a table saw. They make a circular saw on a guide that is awesome kind of like a portable panel saw and a MFT table with that guid built in. But the MFT, multi function table is alot more than just a table with the guide built in. You can do 90% of the stuff safer with less room with the fest tool system but there are still some things a table saw is needed for. You should really stop in a dealer for a demo the stuff is really revolutionary.

richard poitras
09-04-2008, 6:36 PM
They are coming out with a system that works like a table saw next year it is going to be use in conjunction with the MTF table . I saw it on one of the videos from the IWF show. It basically is using one of the TS circular saws mounted upside down and uses a fence for rip cuts. You can see the video in the WoodMagazine blogs..

Harley Reasons
09-04-2008, 7:17 PM
If the Festool is to rich for your blood, check the EurekaZone (EZ-Smart System) (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26) in the Manufacturer's forum here on the Creek. Their system allows you to modify your own circular saw to work with their track system. According to Fine Woodworking's Tool Guide it provides better chipout protection than the Festool does. And, the price is a WHOLE lot less.

Eduard Nemirovsky
09-04-2008, 9:20 PM
They make a very good quality tools, German made.
I have a few including CS with guide rails. Very happy with it.
Ed.

Steven Bolton
09-04-2008, 10:16 PM
Yes, I have heard they are very high quality and I also get the feeling if you buy one, you will soon buy more and more and your life will never be the same again.

Seems odd to not have a table saw though.

Thanks for the info.

Steve Bolton

Peter Quadarella
09-04-2008, 10:55 PM
Steven, they specialize in power hand tools, not machinery. Routers, circular saws, random orbital sanders, that sort of thing. They don't sell band saws, jointers, table saws, etc.

Steven Bolton
09-04-2008, 11:02 PM
Oh. I am afraid to look at the tools for fear of desire.

Steve Bolton

Colin Giersberg
09-04-2008, 11:46 PM
Go ahead and look. You might as well join the rest of us in Festool ownership. They bring a whole new meaning to woodworking (in my opinion) that the other manufacturers seem to have not thought of.

Regards, Colin

Jim Becker
09-05-2008, 9:10 AM
Steven, communicate with 'Creeker Bob Marino (http://www.bobmarinosbesttools.com/). He's one of the foremost experts on Festool and one of the best sources, too. These tools may or may not be for you, but they are absolutely worth considering. And yes, they are infectious, too. I started out with one...the slope was slippery and I'm probably not to the bottom yet. LOL :D

Jesse Cloud
09-05-2008, 9:43 AM
One good thing about Festool for the undecided is the resale value. Its very hard to find used Festools for sale and when you do, they are selling at 90% or better of retail. Also, Festool has a 30 day full refund return if you get buyer's remorse. So - if you try it and don't love it, you can get out without losing many $$.

Jason White
09-05-2008, 6:10 PM
You should absolutely also have a tablesaw. In the time it takes me to set up my TS55 for some things, I can do it in 30-seconds on my tablesaw, which is always set up.

JW

Yes, I have heard they are very high quality and I also get the feeling if you buy one, you will soon buy more and more and your life will never be the same again.

Thanks for the info.

Steve Bolton

Burt Waddell
09-05-2008, 8:21 PM
Festool does make table saws - Currently they are not imported into the united states.

Burt Waddell
09-05-2008, 8:30 PM

Thanks for the info.

Steve Bolton

Steve,

Not having a table saw does sound strange but more and more people are getting rid of a table saw and going with the EZ Smart or Festool System. EZ Smart has a forum here on sawmill creek and Festool also has a forum. Visit the forums and see what the people are doing with the systems.

I run a woodworking business and have reduced usage of my unisaw to use with a stockfeeder for bulk cuts. Otherwise I use the EZ system. It is safer, easier and just as fast.

Burt

Harley Reasons
09-05-2008, 8:41 PM
Festool Trimming saw (http://www.festool.net/mediandoweb/index.php?sTemplate=zoom&sTemplateFile=standard.php&sLanguage=English&BILD=http://wwwinet.my-tts.com/Festool/Kat_2005/halbstat_saegen/jpg_zoom/zoom__hs_cs50_561199_p_01a.jpg)

Rich Engelhardt
09-06-2008, 4:31 AM
Hello,

You should absolutely also have a tablesaw. In the time it takes me to set up my TS55 for some things, I can do it in 30-seconds on my tablesaw, which is always set up.

Yep.

The reverse is also true sometimes.
In the time it takes me to set up the in and out feeds for the table saw and adjust the fence, I can rip a 4" wide by 8' long section of 3/4" ply or MDF with the TS55.

Both tools compliment each other extremely well.

Tenons, dados and rabbets, while possible with the TS55 would simply take too long to set up.
Also - and possibly the only shortcoming of the TS55 (if you can call it a shortcoming) - is that it has positive depth stops. A table saw is infinitely adjustable.
Compound miters on crown would be - interesting - to do on either, but I believe I'd try the table saw long before I'd turn to the TS55 for it.

Jason White
09-07-2008, 8:19 AM
Yep. I also love the TS55 over the tablesaw when I have to make a "tapered" rip. I know there are jigs for the tablesaw (I have one), but for this type of operation the TS55 really shines. For straight, repetitive rips I much prefer the tablesaw. I'll use whatever tool gets me there fastest and best-est!

JW

Hello,

Yep.

The reverse is also true sometimes.
In the time it takes me to set up the in and out feeds for the table saw and adjust the fence, I can rip a 4" wide by 8' long section of 3/4" ply or MDF with the TS55.

Both tools compliment each other extremely well.

Tenons, dados and rabbets, while possible with the TS55 would simply take too long to set up.
Also - and possibly the only shortcoming of the TS55 (if you can call it a shortcoming) - is that it has positive depth stops. A table saw is infinitely adjustable.
Compound miters on crown would be - interesting - to do on either, but I believe I'd try the table saw long before I'd turn to the TS55 for it.