PDA

View Full Version : segmented vase

Robert McGowen
09-04-2008, 5:42 PM
I tried out a design that I had never done before with this vase. I also used segments for the bottom layer, as it was 6" in diameter and was too big to use a solid disk, which is a first for me. The points at the top were fairly easy once I worked it out in my head and also with some scrap pine 2x4's. :rolleyes:

132 pieces of walnut and curly soft maple. 10" wide x 6.25" tall. 2 coats of Waterlox satin applied so far with buffing scheduled in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for looking!

Steve Schlumpf
09-04-2008, 6:07 PM
WOW!

Now that is an impressive vase! Beautiful wood, great colors and I love the design! Seriously - this is most impressive!

Curt Fuller
09-04-2008, 6:49 PM
They don't get much prettier than that Robert! That's really sonething!

curtis rosche
09-04-2008, 8:19 PM
malcolm and bill are gonna have to watch out, your gonna givem a run for their money with stuff like that, thats an awsome peice

Toney Robertson
09-04-2008, 8:40 PM
Robert,

Segmented is not usually my style but your vase is fantastic.

You nailed form, design and wood selection.

Toney

Jim Kountz
09-04-2008, 10:31 PM
Nice really nice! Great looking joints too!

Toney Robertson
09-04-2008, 10:37 PM
Robert,

One question I forgot to ask is what kind of glue do you use?

I have never done a segmented bowl but it would seem that you are gluing a lot of end grain where there is not good gluing surfaces.

Once again - love the bowl.

Thanks,

Toney

Keith Burns
09-04-2008, 10:45 PM
Robert, you nailed this one. Great work.

Robert McGowen
09-04-2008, 10:47 PM
One question I forgot to ask is what kind of glue do you use?

I have never done a segmented bowl but it would seem that you are gluing a lot of end grain where there is not good gluing surfaces.
\

Hi Toney,

I personally use Titebond II glue because I buy it by the gallon for a small business that I own. All of the glue joints are either end-grain-to-end-grain or long-grain-to-long-grain. There are no cross-grain joints. That is the main reason for using a segmented base instead of a solid disk of wood. The end grain joints are super strong. They also set up incredibly fast. I guess that it has something to do with the glue being able to penetrate into the end grain and how much pressure you can apply with a band clamp while it is drying.

Bernie Weishapl
09-04-2008, 10:51 PM
Holy Cow Robert that is a beautiful vase. Well done.

Richard Madison
09-04-2008, 11:47 PM
Very nice indeed Robert! Really shows off the maple, and good job on the segmented base.

Malcolm Tibbetts
09-05-2008, 1:07 AM
Robert, you've created a wonderful looking segmented vessel. Your technical skills are obvious and you have a great eye for shape.

However, I'm concerned about your segmented base. It seems everyone; myself included, tries at least once to create a segmented base ring. The belief being that's it's less "cross grain" than a solid base. The reality is, it's still a very risky type of construction. If you really study the construction, it has great potential for creating joint stress. If the wood (side grain) shrinks, it has no place to move to, it can’t move inward; it has to (at least try to) open a seam on the inside as it moves outward. If the wood expands, it's the opposite problem, and it has to open up a seam towards the outside (it’s trying to grow to a bigger diameter, but the segment lengths can’t grow). In a way, it's a small platter and segmented platters, built in this way have a long history of failure. I'm not saying that you'll have a serious problem with this base. It may last a very long time; there's no way to really predict.

For what it’s worth, I advocate a solid base in sizes up to about 3 ½”; bigger than that, I think it’s worth the trouble to construct a “floating base”. The floating base is essentially based on the “frame and panel” type of door construction. A disc of wood gets sandwiched between two rings and it’s allowed to move as necessary.

This is just something to think about when a large base is needed.

Tony De Masi
09-05-2008, 9:26 AM
Absolutely beautiful piece Robert.

Tony

Mike Golka
09-05-2008, 12:10 PM
Awsome! Great job.

Ron Drew
09-05-2008, 12:20 PM
One of the best looking segmented turnings I've seen Robert. The form is perfect, the wood choices just right. Well done.

Mike Ramsey
09-05-2008, 12:27 PM
That looks like a LOT of work....Very nice indeed..

Bob Hallowell
09-05-2008, 3:28 PM
Robert,
that is out standing! I might have to try that seg thing sometime.

Bob

Christopher K. Hartley
09-05-2008, 7:30 PM
Beautiful work Robert! You can be proud! I love your design, form and contrast:)