PDA

View Full Version : Drawer Box Question

Wayne Waag
09-04-2008, 3:14 PM
I'm attempting a kitchen cabinet remodel keeping only the original carcass. At the moment, I'm building drawer boxes and will install with Accuride full-extension slides mounted directly to the case sides. Here's my problem. As one might expect, the original carcass sides are not completely square so that the width between the front and rear may vary up to 1/8th inch. Any suggestions on the best way to compensate (e.g. shims under the drawer slide) for this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

wwaag

David DeCristoforo
09-04-2008, 4:32 PM
If you look at the sides of the Accurides, you will notice that there are actually long tabs with holes in the ends that are there for just this reason. After you attach them (using only these holes) you can slip something like a putty knife blade between the glides and the cabinet sides and pry them away a bit as needed to get them aligned.

Chris Friesen
09-04-2008, 5:33 PM
..the original carcass sides are not completely square so that the width between the front and rear may vary up to 1/8th inch. Any suggestions on the best way to compensate (e.g. shims under the drawer slide) for this would be greatly appreciated.

Shims under the drawer slide. :)

I'm talking about the part that affixes to the cabinet, of course. You can get a certain amount of play from the bendable tabs, but I don't think I'd want to go for 1/8" using that method.

glenn bradley
09-04-2008, 6:56 PM
I also shim at the cabinet carcass, not on the drawer box.

Wayne Waag
09-05-2008, 1:34 AM
Sounds like shims are the way to go. Stupid question--what material do you use? Washers, wood, index cards, etc.??? Again, thanks for your replies.

wwaag

John Lucas
09-05-2008, 7:33 AM
Sounds like shims are the way to go. Stupid question--what material do you use? Washers, wood, index cards, etc.??? Again, thanks for your replies.

wwaag

yes, any and all of those. I also bought a sheet of 1/8" birch from local Woodcraft. Expensive at $18 a 2 x 4 ft sheet but idea for padding out the slides. I also use, formica scraps and cut them for the slide dimension. To hold them together and n pplace, I use CA medium glue (FastCap 2P 10) and then pop with narrow crown staples.