PDA

View Full Version : Sawstop (and my lack of willpower)

alex grams
09-04-2008, 1:46 PM
After what has to be my most expensive lunch break EVER, I am now awaiting delivery Saturday morning of my new Sawstop (w/ 52" fence/ext. table, and other accessories).

After selling my old saw about 2 weeks ago I have been feeling woefully inadequate as a woodworker and a man every time I go to the shop/garage.

Now the difficult parts become waiting and telling the wife. She of course knew i was going to order it by the end of the month, but as the thread title states, my willpower was not strong enough.

I suspect this will earn me a few items on the honey-do list, and that new flooring or painting will be in order :(

Mike Goetzke
09-04-2008, 1:59 PM
Congrats on the new saw...if you used a charge card, technically you won't have to pay till after the agreed upon date - sounds good to me. But, might be a little hard to hide the package.

Greg Hines, MD
09-04-2008, 2:05 PM
Just remind her of all those frequent flier miles that you are accumulating. :D

Doc

alex grams
09-04-2008, 2:08 PM
the credit card points are going towards a new range/stovetop in the kitchen. We have enough points saved towards about 600$ in gift cards to use for it.

That sounds kind of 1950'sish... I get a new saw and she gets a new stove? :eek:

Mike Heidrick
09-04-2008, 2:40 PM
You could just let her know that not having teh sawstop know puts you at risk ( or make up some saftey relate info). Anyway you made a good cabinet saw choice for sure. Congrats. The $$$ healing starts now. In a month or two your lunch break will be awesome and the next tool will float up the list.

Greg Cole
09-04-2008, 3:09 PM
Right on, I knew it wouldn't be long for you to pull the trigger since the "old" Rigid sold so fast.
I feel your pain about the not having a TS, when I open my pool for the year I lose 2 breaker slots that feed the 220 to my shop sub panel so I go without a tailed jointer, bandsaw and DC all summer. Hope to get around to rectifying that sooner that later too... but pool season's about over.:(
You'll be able to make it through tomorrow, ya can OM me a few times to kill some time...LOL. Though Saturday you'll be worse than a kid at Christmas. Every car on the street will be met by your face squashed on the window to see if it is "the truck".
If it's any consolation about the new stove thing....I bought my wife a Dyson and she about tore my clothes off.... and the new ultra quiet Bosch dishwasher 2 weeks ago... :D
Even funnier, the Dyson was for her birthday (but she asked for it, was NOT my idea).
Will a Bench Dog cast iron table fit, the saw stop has the deeper table, 30" IIRC...?

G

Rusty Elam
09-04-2008, 3:28 PM
Just tell her you are a Aggie and you get confused.....:D

Sorry I could not resist its a Texas thing.

Jim Becker
09-04-2008, 10:13 PM
I get a new saw and she gets a new stove?

Hmm...our range cost just slightly less than my MM slider...and I get to use both!!! :D

Chris McDowell
09-04-2008, 10:21 PM
I feel your pain. After my latest additions I ordered new tooling for the slider and the shaper. Now my wife is having a hard time understanding why she still doesn't have drawer fronts on her cabinets. I don't think the old your not a paying customer line will work anymore. Congrats on the saw.

Liz Wojtkieiwcz
09-06-2008, 7:43 AM
I feel your pain. I got my TS in May and have been hearing from my husband (we're the anti-50s here ;)) all summer "Now that you have the saw when are you going to build the new bed/bookshelves/tabletop...?" etc.

Congrats on the saw - I couldn't spring for the Saw Stop just yet, but I'm planning on working my way up to it. For now I love my new Steel City 30", it fits my tiny shop space just right. :D

Liz

jason lambert
09-06-2008, 7:17 PM
I love my SS just play the saftey side and tell her how the table saw is the most unsafe tool in the shop and after a semi close call and the price increase you decided you better get it sooner than later she will be happy.