PDA

View Full Version : How to darken--cardboard?

Marc Myer
09-04-2008, 1:43 PM
I acquired a bunch of old used green government file folders that are very dense and laser beautifully--not exactly sure of the material. I'm doing a cool freebie project with them. But I can't seem to get the rastered areas dark enough, even at 30 speed and 100% power on a 35W! They're already taking 40 minutes to raster at 400dpi, and yes, the machine is clean; it's just a very durable manila.

Can you suggest something I can spray on the folders before or after that will darken the rastered areas?

Doug Griffith
09-04-2008, 2:38 PM
Haven't tried it but maybe you can rub in artist charcoal and then clear coat with a spray fixative.

Ray Uebner
09-04-2008, 8:26 PM
I would try to increase the raster line size and slow it down or up the dpi. Just a thought don't know if it would work but worth a try.:)

Stephen Beckham
09-04-2008, 10:28 PM
Marc,

I'd liken it to Picture Framing Matt Board - I have the same issue with getting it darker. The only that has worked for me was to down focus so the beam was wider. You'll lose 'focus' (duh :eek:) on some of your crisp edges (nice artwork by the way) - but it might give you more 'scorching' to darken it up.

I played with greyscale once, but going over it in two different greys won't be an option since you're already above your desired laser time...