PDA

View Full Version : CNC router and deck railing?

Skip Weiser
09-04-2008, 1:37 PM
I'm replacing the railing on a deck attached to the back of my house and I'm looking for ideas on how I can use my router to fancy it up. Have any of you done this?

Like maybe instead of using spindles, use treated 1x6 or 2x6 with a design of some kind cut into the edges or center of the board. I've been trying to find some pictures online to get some ideas, but haven't had much luck.

Any suggestions or links?

Thanks,
Skip

Steve knight
09-04-2008, 10:32 PM
I plan on doing something on some new stairs and window trim but not sure what yet.

Eric Mims
09-04-2008, 11:37 PM
I saw a photo recently of some vertical slats used on some interior balcony railing that looked really nice. seemed to be about 6" wide maybe by .75" thick and had a design carved through. Can't find the pic, but I liked it. Lots you could do!

found one pic, though this is not anything like I saw, style wise.
http://thumbnail.search.aolcdn.com/vsthumb6/tn/BC/5A/BC5AB1E62B4D60578B0C70.jpg

Skip Weiser
09-05-2008, 1:03 AM
I know what you mean, Steve. I want to do something unique, just not sure what yet. I'm looking for ideas.

Thanks Eric, if you ever run across the pic you mentioned, please post it or a link to it.

Thanks,
Skip

Steve knight
09-05-2008, 1:06 AM
some vcarved vines down the posts would be fast and easy with some work you can wrap them around. maybe simple flowers on them too.

Skip Weiser
09-05-2008, 1:23 AM
If I had a plasma cutter this would be cool.

I could do something like this with plywood and paint it but it would probably only last one visit from the grandkids.

Eric Mims
09-05-2008, 10:27 AM
there was a cool set of stairs and balcony railings on the back cover of Fine Homebuilding this month or last. I think it was plasma cut though.

Skip Weiser
09-09-2008, 1:33 PM
I was looking through some clip art of mine and found some .eps files for these shapes of spindles/pickets. I'm not sure I like any of them but this will give me some ideas.

If anyone wants the .eps vector of any of these, just holler.

Skip

Rob Wright
09-09-2008, 2:38 PM
Skip - those look great:D! I would be interested in the eps file and have sent a PM - Rob

AL Ursich
09-16-2008, 10:16 PM
The idea of cutting pressure treated on your CNC :eek: and possible damage to your metal parts was the first thing I thought of. I am curious what others have found cutting the new pressure treated. From what I know the chemicals will corrode metal.

I could be off base here but it could damage your CNC.

As for the idea of using the CNC to make fancy rails is a great idea, the pressure treated just bothers me.

AL

Steve knight
09-17-2008, 1:37 AM
with good dc I doubt it will be much on an issue. if I can cut soft stone I am sure the pt will be ok.

james mcgrew
09-17-2008, 7:25 AM
pressure treated corbels two weeks ago! they were dried as i am not a fan of water on my table!!

jim

Ed Harrall
09-19-2008, 10:09 PM
Skip I would also be interested in the files. Would be great to use with my students.:D
Thanks
Ed

Skip Weiser
09-20-2008, 1:09 PM
Skip I would also be interested in the files. Would be great to use with my students.:D
Thanks
Ed

Files sent, Ed.

Mike Kelly
09-26-2008, 4:34 PM
I was trying to get fancy on my deck rebuild also and my research finally showed that any railings that could be used as a foothold for small or large kids was probably not going to pass most codes. Just a thought.