PDA

View Full Version : Chuck for 3520b

jason lambert
09-04-2008, 10:49 AM
Ok I need a #2 chuck what should I get the one way? The last thread I can find was in 2003 so there has got to be some newer information.

Also ordering one way stuff do you order it from one way direct in Canada to the states? or is there a faster way.

There was mention that harbor freight carried a drill chuck you could put in this is that true?

scott schmidt grasshopper
09-04-2008, 11:00 AM
hi jason I just moved up to a pm 3520A . ( see you other thread) I bought a vicmark 120 to go with my talon chuck from my old lathe. I liked the vicmark cause its got a true dovetail so holds well. my teacher and i have turned 17 in blocks with it no problem
here is a list of what i got to go with it( moving up from a delta700 12/36)
thompson gouge 5/8
vicmar 5.5 in craftsupply
mcnaughton center saver W laser woodcraftcraft (special order)
one way interior bowl rest craftsupply
h&l sanding disc's vince woodnwonders
HF 90degree drill
get hold of me if you need websites or more info

Hilel Salomon
09-04-2008, 12:35 PM
Hi Jason,

I have quite a few Oneway Strongholds and Vicmar 120's. The Vicmarcs are slightly better-in my opinion- but more expensive. Check out prices on the Oneway at Hartville Tools. If you will be turning smaller stuff the Teknatool Supernova 2's are fine and Lee Valley had them on sale a while back. Good luck with your PM. I really like mine.
Regards, Hilel

Reed Gray
09-04-2008, 1:07 PM
I don't know if the Oneway chucks were out when I got my PM, which Scott now has. I never looked back, and now have 4 of them, 2 of the smaller ones, and 2 of the bigger ones. I do have a set of 5 inch jaws for my Robust lathe, so I can turn really big bowls. 21 inch bowl with a recess, no problem.
robo hippy

Bernie Weishapl
09-04-2008, 1:50 PM
I have the Vicmarc chucks and haven't looked back.

Mike Ramsey
09-04-2008, 1:54 PM
Jason, are you asking about a Drill chuck with a #2 taper? If that's
the question then HF has them for $29 last time I checked & it will fit
your tail stock on the 3520B.

jason lambert
09-04-2008, 2:41 PM
I will be starting with mostly smaller stuff shoudl I get the Vicmarc 100 3.5" or 120 5.5" ? I think the 120 might be a tad big or does that not really matter?

Ron Ainge
09-04-2008, 4:14 PM
Jason

If you plan on not using your lathe to it fullest then buy the small chuck, but if you ever want to turn anything over 16 inches in diameter or anyghtins that has some weight to it you will need the larger chuck. You can always turn small things on a large chuck but you may be asking for trouble trying to turn large things with a small chuck.

jason lambert
09-04-2008, 6:33 PM
ok wasn't sure if the large chuck would get in the way for small things. I thought it could be an issue trying to turn around it.

Jim Becker
09-04-2008, 9:38 PM
Jason, I haven't felt the need for a larger chuck than my Talon since moving up to the Stubby. It would be quite rare for me to go above 16" for a bowl or hollowform anyway. And with multiple jaw sets, I'm able to do pretty much everything I would ask from a chuck. If I find I need something larger, I'll buy a second chuck to dedicate for that purpose. The Talon and Vicmarc 100 are similar in size. Each has its advantage and disadvantages. I like the key system on the Vicmarc, but prefer the OneWay jaw design. The jaws won out for me.