PDA

View Full Version : Need some DC advice

Steven Almas
09-04-2008, 9:13 AM
First a little background. I took the plunge yesterday and ordered the Griz 490x jointer and 555x Bandsaw. These 2 pieces round out my garage shop. I have a large 3 car garage but have been relegated to only one bay. Needless to saw, its tight and I've done a good job of keeping everything mobile. While I'm working on projects, my shop does expand to 2 bays but I have to tuck everything away when I'm done.

I barely have enough room for the new equipment, but I really need better dust collection than my shop vac. I'm looking for suggestions. I figure my DW735 planer and the new Griz jointer will need the most draw. As much as I'd like a cyclone system, I just can't sacrifice the space for it. I was leaning towards the griz g1029z 2hp and the 2.5 micron bag. I like the roll around form factor, but I'm not tied to any make, model or even price right now.

Please help.

Prashun Patel
09-04-2008, 9:30 AM
Consider upgrading to 1 micron bag.

Also, check out some mobile or compact cyclones from Oneida or JDS. They're a pretty penny, but small and mobile (if money's no object).

For the spaced-constrained, I really like the mounting style of this single stage:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=21255

I think 3/4hp is weak, but you can get a more powerful unit and mount it similarly. Again, I'd upgrade the filter to 1u.

Peter Quadarella
09-04-2008, 12:48 PM
You know what, I was having some frustration with some long pieces of jatoba and on an urge (and encouragement from my wife :) ) purchased the 490X also. Thanks Glenn and others who helped me decide :).

Anyway, I am in the same situation regarding dust collection. I have a 17" Griz bandsaw, and a lunchbox planer, and now adding the jointer I felt it was time I needed a real dust collector. Since my shop space is very tight now, and this cash outlay was unexpected, I decided to just go for a basic 1.5hp collector.

I looked around and found that the Grizzly one is one of the least expensive options. I was gong to go for that one when I noticed they sell the same model in 2hp and with a 2.5 micron bag, for only $10 more. So I bought that one :).

Steven Almas
09-04-2008, 1:26 PM
Pete,

Have you received the DC yet? If so, how do you like it? If I go that route, I think I'm going to add the Thien baffle and be happy with that. All I can say is it has to be better than my shop vac.

David Romano
09-04-2008, 2:20 PM
I have the Griz 4090 jointer, an 18" bandsaw and a DW735 planer, among other things. I love my DC setup. I recommend the Jet DC 1200. It's 220 volts, but the jointer is as well as I think the Griz 490x jointer is, correct?

The airflow data that Jet provides is accurate according to B. Pentz. Mounted on it is a Wynn canister and of course the Thien baffle. Lots of suction and the filter stays clean. I run 6" main lines and 4" to the 2 ports on the bandsaw, and to the planer, and 6" to the jointer where you can make any size hood you want. The cost is less than a cyclone.

David