PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman/ IR Air compressors

Tom Godley
09-04-2008, 9:07 AM
I have been thinking of getting a new air compressor for the whenever finished shop. I have been using a 20 gal oiled Sears unit for 20+ years that has served me well for all the things I have ever needed from it.

The 60 Gal Vertical Ingersoll-Rand w/5-hp 220v motor looks to be the unit that many on the forum point to as being able to do all that any advanced hobbyist would run into. It also looks to be a complete unit with the exception of adding the auto purge valve.

I just received a flyer from Sears for the "Craftsman Club" sale - Listed is a 80 gal Craftsman unit #16781 that looks quite nice for $788.00. From the picture the compressor looks like it could be the same as the IR with a little disguise going on. They also have a 60-gal IR for $1098 -- that is a good price for that unit -- if it is the same as a normal one and not a special unit built for Sears.

Anybody have any idea who manufactures the units for Sears? Or actual information on the Sears 80 gal unit?

To be honest I need to figure out the difference between two stage and twin cylinders - I just noticed this in the flyer!

Thanks for any help!

Jim Becker
09-04-2008, 9:57 AM
Tom, I can't tell you who makes the Sears unit, but what you want to look at carefully is how everything is connected together. Many of the "big box" compressors, no matter what the name" do not have the same extraordinary construction as the IR and similar do in that respect. Dennis Peacock found that out a few years ago when he had an issue with a nearly new CH compressor, if I'm recalling correctly. He returned it and bought the same IR that I have in the shop. Mine's the 3hp single stage that sells typically for just under $600. I got a deal on mine from Tractor Supply a few years ago for $499 plus tax. You might keep your eye on for a "grand opening" of the new Flemmington Tractor Supply Store on Rt 31 in case there are any compressor incentives.

Gary Max
09-04-2008, 10:02 AM
With any of them you have to look at what you are getting-----rated motors compared to real HP is a big deal.
A Baldor 5 HP compressor motor weighs in at almost a 100 lbs.

Randal Stevenson
09-04-2008, 11:22 AM
A lot of the Craftsman ones (I can't say all) are made by Devilbliss (spelling?). I just replaced a pump on one of their old (maybe 8 year) compressors. It is an aluminum pump used on DeWalt/PC/Craftsman, and a few others. Aluminum pumps don't last as long, and even cast iron pumps will have problems if you never drain the compressor. (the reason the pump was replaced, the other compressor is starting to have issues, from neglect in a commercial setting).

Two stage is generally better (but may be overkill as I don't know your needs), cast iron pumps are better then aluminum. Low RPM motors, like on Quincy's or Eatons, etc, run quieter then the homeowner compressors (Craftsman). I believe IR carries both.

Do you do any automotive work with these (other then tires, LOL)? Just something else to consider (checking the specs of your current and planned air tools).

Looking at your Craftsman pic, I can't see all the specs (motor rpm), but it looks like a fine one for a home shop.

Mike Goetzke
09-04-2008, 11:39 AM
I had a 20 gal. oilless for years and found a slightly used I-R 2340L5 2-stage. One of the best upgrades I ever made in my shop. If you plan to use it for a HVLP conversion gun, pnematic snaders, or any air hogging tool the two stage (high pressure - 175psi) is the way to go.

Mike

terry hansen
09-04-2008, 2:38 PM
you asked about 2 stage vs twin cylinder. A simple answer is 2 stage compresses air twice, allowing a higher pressure to be maintained. A twin cylinder may just use 2 cylinders to compress the air once. Typically 2 stage are more$$ but can be more efficient & longer lasting. For example SCUBA shops use 2 stage to obtain high pressure needed for tanks.