PDA

View Full Version : Rosewood bowl critique requested

Matt Wolboldt
09-04-2008, 2:02 AM
Howdy guys, I feel like I'm finally getting the hang of turning some things so I guess I'm putting up this bowl for some review. It's east indian rosewood (girlfriend picked it up as a present :)), 6"x3.5". Sanded through 1500 and finished with friction polish and finally Beall buffed.
One of the problems I run into is getting the bowl centered when I go to reverse chuck it. I'm fairly certain that I turn the tenon properly, but if you can give any tips on making sure it's concentric with spindle it would be a great help. Thanks everyone.

Steve Schlumpf
09-04-2008, 9:29 AM
Matt - that's a good looking bowl! Beautiful wood grain, great coloring! Very nice looking finish but I do have to wonder how long the friction polish will last as opposed to a carnuba or some other harder wax.

Nice form to the bowl with consistant wall thickness and gentle outside curve. About the only thing I see missing is that you didn't sign your work!

As far as centering when reverse chucking - method will depend on what you are using as a chuck; donut chuck, jam chuck, vacuum chuck, etc. but most of the time I use the tailstock to hold the work in place and give the piece a few spins to make sure it is centered while securing it to the chuck.

robert hainstock
09-04-2008, 9:41 AM
I too use Steves method, (he taught me) center punch the tenon when you first turn it. This will make sure it is centered when reversed.
Nice bowl. Love the smell of EI rosewood while working it. Hard to think of any better smelling wood. :):):)
Bob

curtis rosche
09-04-2008, 9:53 AM
i thought rosewood was a different color? that looks like walnut, i guess there are different colors of it just like everything else. that looks godd, looks like one of steves popcorn bowls