PDA

View Full Version : jointer/planer heads

Jeffrey M Jones
09-03-2008, 11:34 PM
Recently got planer and jointer with hss heads. I know that helical heads cut better and the blades last longer but is a good sharpener like a tormek a suitable answer to having hss heads? I figured I could sharpen the hss blades with the tormek as well as other things in my shop for a few years until I could afford the spiral cutter heads. Am I really missing out that much not having a spiral head to begin with? I am pleased right now with the cutting quality of the hss blades, I kind of thought spiral heads were only really worth it if you were a pro anyway. what are your thoughts? Thanks
Jeff

alex grams
09-03-2008, 11:47 PM
Lots of opinions on this.

I have HSS blades on my G0490 and am very happy with the cut. However, when it comes time to sharpen or replace them, i already feel the painful experience coming on.

If you can sharpen and align the HSS blades in your jointer no problem, then more power to ya and I'de say keep on doing it.

However, if you run through lots of hardwood, and especially if you do any jointing of material with variable grain (burls etc), then that is where the helical shines. It is easier to keep sharp and does better on the odd grain patterns. It also runs quieter and with carbide inserts, lasts longer.

I personally will get the byrd shelix head soon for my 8" jointer, I just didn't initially because I didnt want to drop the extra $$ at the time.