PDA

View Full Version : Question on creche/nativity carving

Jim Underwood
09-03-2008, 11:15 PM
Hi guys. I've carved off and on for many years every since I got my first pocket knife as a kid. (And learned which end of a knife was which!- Owch!)

I'm currently mostly a woodturner and growing in my skills there.

However, I've started a Nativity set, and have run into a snag or two.... I've put off posting this request for months because I'm just not sure how to go about it.

The snag is that, although I've completed the barn (hey it's flatwork, and I work in a cabinet shop, how hard can it be?), I'm stuck after carving a sheep that looks like a cross between a pig and a dog, and partially carved a really rough looking Joseph, that in retrospect is out of proportion - his head is too big for the body. I can probably fix that, but I've got a mental block now.

I realize that I probably need some kind of drawing to help me get the proportions and poses right. I googled for nativity images for several hours on several consecutive days, but I'm just not finding what I need.

Any help for my problem?

Chuck Nickerson
09-04-2008, 6:11 PM
Directly to the question - The best place to look for the drawings you want would be the scrollsaw and toy folks. There are books of religious scrollsaw patterns. (I don't own any, but I've seen them.) Also, companies like Meisel have plans for yard nativity scenes to be made from plywood. Cherry Tree Toys may also have some. You can also find plans for Noah's Ark which will give you all the animal outlines you'll need.

Less directly - You're learning carving's deep lesson: how much of what we 'know' about shapes is quite superficial. My attempts to draw a reared cobra for a bowsaw are quite embarassing.

Chuck

Jim Underwood
09-04-2008, 7:13 PM
Well the most embarassing thing is that I've drawn and painted for years, but still can't come up with a decent drawing of Mary and Joseph for crying out loud.

I guess I could get someone to model it for me....

I'll check out the scroll saw stuff. Thanks for the tip.

Brian Kent
09-07-2008, 11:13 PM
Jim, I found some by googling "Olive Wood Nativity". One placed I have purchased from while in Israel 18 and 20 years ago was "Lama Brothers" in Bethlehem. I have never tried an online purchase from them, but they have some pictures of Olive Wood caved nativity sets that might help:

http://lama-brothers.com/olive_wood.php?Cat=12

Good luck to you.

Brian Kent

Michael Dayton
09-08-2008, 8:19 PM
My step-mother collects wooden nativity pieces, and there's a lot of action on eBay on this subject. (I'm not suggesting you **Buy** anything there... but the pictures may give you ideas).

Mike

John Novak
09-15-2008, 7:43 AM
Jim -

Check out www.fandfwoodcarving.com (http://www.fandfwoodcarving.com). Under a catagory of "Holiday Books" they have a few how to carve books with plenty of pictures and patterns.

Ray Mighells
09-21-2008, 11:51 AM
Do a Google on Classic Woodcarving Patterns. This is Susan Irish's site and you can download a lot of freebies and take a look at all the other goodies she has. She is very talented and prolific.

Gord Pat
09-23-2008, 12:24 PM
Might be a stupid question on my part , but did you use google images or just google.
Also what are you looking for, sheep lying down, standing up, realistic or just a creature that resembles a sheep.(G)

Dave Hale
09-23-2008, 1:02 PM
Don't know how realistic you're shooting for, but there's templates right here on SMC....
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=47825

Still thinking about making this... :)

Jim Finn
09-24-2008, 4:43 PM
My way of carving does not involve a knife at all. I use gouges and when doing this carving in the round or sculpting I find it much easier to buy a figure and just copying it. I usually fail to carve a good figure from just drawings. I made an angel of olive wood long ago that I copied from a porclin one.http://shutter10.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/02/004/2B/7A/E3/9F/EcKVNBtXDt7B5uPhgVNI8ihEmwfCUiVk00A0.jpg (javascript:Ui.MiniViewer.showViewer(Model.Current .pictureIndex);) it is four inches tall.

Chuck Nickerson
09-25-2008, 1:08 PM
Jim - what a great idea! I have several 3D carving projects where I could buy a cheap 3D figure for guidance. Thanks for posting a simple and useful idea.