PDA

View Full Version : moving a 3520b on wheels?

jason lambert
09-03-2008, 10:12 PM
I saw the pic where someone uses a hydrolic table from HF to move the lathe but has anyone tried Zambus wheels on this or something similar? The legs are threaded so this should be easy if you have used them and it worked what model number did you use?

BILL DONAHUE
09-03-2008, 10:29 PM
Jason, On the advise of several people on this forum I got the hydraulic lift table from Harbor Freight and never regreted it. It moves the PM3520B easily, sits under the lathe and doesn't take up room in my shop/garage, and still allows the lathe to sit firmly on the floor during use. I've found a lot of other uses for it, too, both as a table and sometimes as a seat. On sale I paid about $160.

Bernie Weishapl
09-03-2008, 11:30 PM
Another vote for the lift.

tim mathis
09-04-2008, 12:14 AM
Hi Jason,
The Powermatic legs are threaded for 3/8 x 16 threads.
The Zambus casters with a stem range from
m 8 x 1.25mm to m 16 x 2.0 mm.
You would need to redrill and retap the legs to put the Zambus casters on.
tim mathis

Gary Herrmann
09-04-2008, 8:42 AM
An engine hoist is a help for assembly. I made a ballast box for extra height, weight and stability and put zambus on that. I then rolled it across my shop and lowered the feet on the casters. I can balance a nickle on the ways and the head in any orientation when stopping and starting the lathe with an off balance 40 lb bowl blank on the lathe.

Jim Becker
09-04-2008, 9:08 AM
The most important thing relative to lathe mobility is that when it's not being moved, you need to have the legs directly on the floor. That's where ordinary casters are "out". Zambus are unique in that they offer the feature of a "foot" when you are not mobile, but the downside is that they would raise the machine height if installed directly under the legs. For that reason, if the height difference were a factor for you, you'd need to deal with a welded frame or bracket that would accommodate the Zambus units. The hydraulic table is a very viable option and if you plan things well, it can also be a very useful thing to have around the shop...make an auxiliary top for it and you have an adjustable height assembly surface for "Flat" projects! This is one place where there are some good values from Harbor Freight on the hydraulic table...

BTW, when you move a cast iron lathe around, it's critical that you check the spindle alignment after the feet are back on the floor. Cast iron bends and floors are never perfectly flat. If you are moving it for "storage" when not in use and returning to the same spot, mark the foot positions on the floor with tape so that you can reduce the need for this adjustment check.

jason lambert
09-04-2008, 10:47 AM
Ok you convinced me to get the hydrolic table. I see one pic the guy has the 500 lbs model is that enought? Did it hold up ok? The bigger one looks to be much bigger and i want to keep it to a minimum.

jason lambert
09-04-2008, 9:10 PM
bump.... ... ...

Scott Hubl
09-05-2008, 4:21 AM
BUMP

I want to know which one you each bought and how often they go on Sale?

I have wanted one for awhile now.

jason lambert
09-05-2008, 10:15 AM
Scott they don't necess need to be on sale if you have the catalog number you can order it at the sale price or walk into the store with it and they usally honor it. I found the 500lbs one for $89 and I beleve that is the one someone has pictured and is using so I was hoping for feedback since it seems light but if it works. If not they have a 1000 lbs one but it is close to $200 and out of stock there is another orange $1000 one for $250ish but the the 1000 lbs ones weigh something like 200lbs.

Mike Ramsey
09-05-2008, 12:05 PM
I got the smaller table & it's fantastic, I use it constantly as a work
station table also.

jason lambert
09-05-2008, 12:09 PM
Perfect Mike thanks, was worried about the 500 lbs weight limit but doesn't seem to be a issue.

Joshua Dinerstein
09-05-2008, 1:23 PM
Would you happen to be the American & Proud account from woodnet.net? I was just surprised to see a similar phrase here on this site. If it is you then... Thanks again for the suggestions and help. ;)

Joshua

BUMP

I want to know which one you each bought and how often they go on Sale?

I have wanted one for awhile now.

Joshua Dinerstein
09-05-2008, 1:27 PM
I found the 500lbs one for $89 and I beleve that is the one someone has pictured and is using so I was hoping for feedback since it seems light but if it works.

Where did you find it for that price? I would buy one as well! The best I have seen is $169 and half off seems like a great price!

Thanks!!!
Joshua

Scott Hubl
09-05-2008, 5:45 PM
Yes Josh, The one and Only.

I'm glad I was able to help you out.

I also only see 3 listed at HF one at $169.99 500LB. and one at $239.99 1000LB and one at $339.99 770LB I got a HF flyer in the mail today the one for $239.99 is listed in it but not on Sale. I may just buy it though I need to move my 3520B.

Any HF coupons out there ?
EDIT : Looking on HF I did find another sale flyer and 2 are on sale, I'll be buying the 1000LB one on sale for $199.00. COOL.

Joshua Dinerstein
09-05-2008, 6:01 PM
Yes Josh, The one and Only.
Cool. Nice to see you. :D

I also only see 3 listed at HF one at $169.99 500LB. and one at $239.99 1000LB and one at $339.99 770LB I got a HF flyer in the mail today the one for $239.99 is listed in it but not on Sale. I may just buy it though I need to move my 3520B.I just went online to the retail store arm of HF and started going through their current circulars. #94822 the 500lb lift table is on sale right now, this one had a dark green border on the cover, is going for $109 right now. Not the $89 someone else mentioned but still $109 is $60 off the normal price so not too terrible.

I recently got a 15% off coupon in the mail and one in my email. Darn 1 of them just expired or I would put the printable image up here for others to share.

Anyway at $92 after the coupon it is close enough that I think I will go buy one. ;)

Hope this helps anyone else looking for one.

EDIT: Oh it is on Page 8 if that helps anyone locate it.

Joshua

Scott Hubl
09-09-2008, 11:11 PM
Ok now for the life of me I can't find were and how I was flipping the sales flyer ads for HF on their website??????:confused:

Scott Hubl
09-11-2008, 12:26 AM
Geeeze HF needs to consolidate to ONE site, found the AD's on another HF website.

I did buy the 1000Lbs. lift table, of course I missed the sale by one day but didn't have that sale flyer to get it honored anyway.
But I did use a 15% off coupon, was planning on using Both the Sale AND the coupon.

Oh well life goes on. lol
Gonna be nice to move the 3520B at will.:cool:

Maylon Harvey
09-11-2008, 12:36 AM
Geeeze HF needs to consolidate to ONE site, found the AD's on another HF website.

I did buy the 1000Lbs. lift table, of course I missed the sale by one day but didn't have that sale flyer to get it honored anyway.
But I did use a 15% off coupon, was planning on using Both the Sale AND the coupon.

Oh well life goes on. lol
Gonna be nice to move the 3520B at will.:cool:

Scott,
Per your earlier post alerting me to the sale on the 1000 lb lift I went and got one Saterday. THANKS. And it was worth it to have in putting the new PM together. Picture post hopefully tomorrow. Piece of cake! And it made the leveling process so easy. Lift, adjust levelers, lower, check level, lift, adjust, lower, check etc. So easy and so fast. The thing has already paid for it self. Thanks again.

Scott Hubl
09-11-2008, 7:51 AM
Hi Maylon,
Congrats, they work great I lifted mine fully loaded with the 18" bed and about 9 chucks sitting on the bed plus both oneway steady rests,bowl and spindle without effort.
I chose the 239.99 1000lbs one over the 500lbs one because I wasn't sure if the seals would hold up over time picking up the 3520B and anything else around the shop/house.

With my bummed up arm there was no other way I could move/drag it around this helps ALOT. I had meant to go get one of these a long time ago and kept putting it off, this thread reminded me of them and I have been wanting to move the lathe for awhile now.

Do you have a copy of the sale AD you could send me? The store manager said he would honor the sale price for me IF I had a copy, I went home by the time I found the HF site that actually has the sale ads posted to look through it was replaced with another AD.

Thanks and your Welcome too.

Jim Becker
09-11-2008, 9:01 AM
Once again folks, be sure you check the alignment of your lathe after moving it from point A to point B. Cast iron bends. Really. It does.