PDA

View Full Version : A small gloat

Bruce Page
05-06-2004, 8:17 PM
This doesn’t even come close to some of the more recent and breathtaking gloats (you know who you are!)

I ordered the Porter-Cable 557 plate joiner from Amazon last month and took advantage of their free shipping, instant discount of $25, 1000-pack of assorted biscuits ($20 worth of a whole lota biscuits) and PC’s $25 rebate. If I do some creative math ;) and add up the Amazon & PC discounts/rebates, deduct the $20 saved on the biscuits, and throw in the $75 that I got for my old 555, the 557 cost me a whopping $55.00 That seemed like a good deal to me.
Side note; For you rookie tool buyers out there, when using creative math, you NEVER NEVER figure in the original cost of the tool you are replacing. ;) :rolleyes:

But of course, :mad: I just looked at Amazon a few minutes ago and PC has a $30 rebate going on this month – such is the story of my life… :( :(

The 557 replaces my old 555 that I bought in the early `90’s. The 555 was a decent tool as long as you did straight on joining, but it had a crappy fence and zero chip collection – those damned chips flew everywhere!

I also bought the PC thru-dovetail template for my Omnijig. I found it strange that it came without any setup instructions! :mad::mad: Unfortunately, no matter how hard I push, the original and excellently done VHS tape that came with the Omnijig and covered all the various templates will not fit into the mug tray on my DVD player. :confused: :confused:

Are there people around that copy VHS to DVD?

Lars Thomas
05-06-2004, 9:21 PM
Bruce, I can't help you with the VHS dub. But I have the original manual for my Omnijig. I'm almost certain it has the instructions for all the templates (even though they weren't included).

Did you get the template from Amazon too? I have been thinking about picking up the variable spacing template.

Check the P-C website to see if they have the manual posted. If not, drop me a PM and I'll send you a copy. Lars

Bruce Page
05-06-2004, 10:56 PM
Lars, I might be able to find the original manual - I don't think I've ever used it, I do remember watching the tape a few dozen times.
I did buy the template from amazon, they had as good a price as anyone.

Steve Evans
05-07-2004, 7:36 AM
Bruce

I'd be able to do that for you, but it's a bit silly to ship it all the way to Canada for that. Check in your local yellow pages under Video tape and DVD duplication service. I'd be willing to bet that you have several shops in the Albuquerque area doing that.

Chris Padilla
05-07-2004, 11:24 AM
Yeah, Bruce, I can barely see this gloat! :eek:

;) :cool:

Bruce Page
05-07-2004, 2:26 PM
Yeah, Bruce, I can barely see this gloat! :eek:

;) :cool:Chris, Compared to yours, this is barely a blip on the radar scope! :rolleyes:

Steve, thanks for the offer but I'm sure I can find someone local to dub it.