PDA

View Full Version : Newbe Questions

bob pfohler
09-03-2008, 9:47 PM
We recently ordered a new laser engraver (Universal PLS 50 watt) to compliment our CNC business.
I've looked at tons of post for the last couple of months and sometimes the choice of materials can be overwhelming. Before we waste time and money on an experiment I wanted to ask some advice.
Our first request is for some magnetic tags (about the size of a business card) white with red letters. My first though was to use Rowmark Lasermax 1/16" in. , add an adhesive magnetic sheet and then engrave and cut.

Am I on the right track?

Richard Rumancik
09-04-2008, 11:50 AM
You could also consider Rowmark Flexicolor if you want something thinner. (Around .022" I think.)

Some of the Rowmark products get sticky on the edges after cutting. You may need to develop a solution to treat/clean the edges.

Not sure what will happen to the edge quality when you cut through the Rowmark and magnet together. Maybe laminate a smaller piece if you can and test it. You have plenty of power, it is just an issue of edge quality. I suppose it it doesn't cut well together you could cut them separate and laminate them but it's more work.

If you can get the magnet with self adhesive that would work. The Rowmark can also be purchased with pressure sensitive adhesive if it is better to go that route.

Unfortunately in this business there tends to be a lot of experimentation to determine what works . . .

Franklin Geiser
09-04-2008, 12:24 PM
In my experience, magnet material isn't much fun to cut through. It takes quite a bit of power, and ends up with messy edges.

I'd definitely try it before quoting the job; if the edge is not acceptable, you might want cut the magnet a fair bit smaller (1" x .5" or so) by hand, then apply to the back of each.
If you get a psa backed magnet and use a paper cutter, it shouldn't be too much work.

Bob Cole
09-04-2008, 5:31 PM
I purchased some lasermag and had good results. There isn't the color combination you are looking for, but it may be the way to go if you are doing small quantities. If you will be doing large quantities, may be better to look online for a printing company (business card companies usually do magnets also printed in whatever color you want).

pm me and I will send you a sample I did.