PDA

View Full Version : What Species of Wood would you suggest

Dana Berenson
09-03-2008, 9:02 PM
for making bowls from trees taken down in New England?

I can get my hands on Maple, Cherry, Apple, Ash, American Elm. If I'm lucky, I can get some Walnut. Any suggestions for other types of wood I should be looking for in New England?

Thanks!

Barry Stratton
09-03-2008, 9:31 PM
Any and all. Free wood is the best wood:D

Jim Becker
09-03-2008, 9:42 PM
The answer is "yes". Whatever species you can get your hands on...

I know that sounds kinda humor driven, but it's absolutely true. One of the wonderful things about turning is that you can use stuff that other non-spinny woodworkers would avoid or even turn their noses up at! Knarly, insect-ridden, spalted whatever is like gold to a turner!

On a more serious note, everything you listed is likely native to your region if that is important to you.

Mark Hix
09-03-2008, 10:19 PM
stack all of up you can get.....it will be a long winter. The things I am most pleased with came mostly from found wood.

Bernie Weishapl
09-03-2008, 11:33 PM
Any and all of the wood you mentioned. Especially if it is free wood.

Steve Schlumpf
09-04-2008, 12:11 AM
Dana - like the others have already suggested - just about any type of wood works in turning but of the woods listed I find cherry to be my favorite because of it's ability to hold details, change color over time and just love the smell when turning! Maple comes in a close second! Whatever you get your hands on - post some photos so we can know what we are missing!

Ken Fitzgerald
09-04-2008, 12:14 AM
Free wood......any hardwood is good wood! Go for it!

Leo Van Der Loo
09-04-2008, 1:27 AM
Hi Dana, you got a few good ones covered already, but there are several more that can be used to make bowls from, that do grow in your general area, and also don't forget park and ornamental planted trees.
Here you go:
Butternut AKA White Walnut
Birch, yellow, black, white
Mulberry, white, red
Hickory shagbark and smooth-bark
Locust, honey and black
Sycamore
White Oak
Catalpa
Hornbeam, AKA blue beech or muscle wood
Hop hornbeam, AKA iron wood
Beech
There are a few more, like dogwood and Box Elder AKA Manitoba Maple and Horse chestnut
As a newer turner I would recommend the Maple and Cherry and Ash, the Apple and other fruitwoods (including Black Cherry) can be a challenge to get dry without the wood splitting.
Good turning and looking forward to seeing some of your turnings soon.

robert hainstock
09-04-2008, 9:45 AM
Go with Leo's list, and pay attention to those who reccomend FREE wood. :)
Bob

Brian Brown
09-04-2008, 12:26 PM
Definitely all of them, but if you are looking for something less commonly seen, use the American elm.

Jamie Cowan
09-04-2008, 9:02 PM
Recently saw an ad on craigs' for 4 cherry trees in Barrington, NH. Cut them and haul them, and they are yours. Leave some firewood. I thought, "Gee, I'd like to get together with about 4 other creekers, rip those suckers down, cut like there's no tomorrow, and have a great haul of turning stock." Unfortunately, he wants the stumps gone, too. Grinding stumps isn't for me.