PDA

View Full Version : Impact Drivers -- Quick Question

Joe Vincent
09-03-2008, 8:47 PM
I don't have an impact driver but have one on order. I wonder: Are they as adept at removing screws as they are at sinking them?

Thanks.

Don Eddard
09-03-2008, 8:59 PM
In a word, yes. You are going to love having an impact driver, both for driving and removing.

Barry Vabeach
09-03-2008, 9:00 PM
Yes. They don't turn as quickly as a drill driver so it is less likely they will strip the screw. The only downside, in my opinion, is they can be very loud

Peter Quinn
09-03-2008, 9:11 PM
Yes, if you use good screws. The impact driver will pop the head off of sheet rock screws and stainless screws in a heartbeat, so be careful there. The torque is much higher in and out, so brittle screws tend to break. Maybe not more so than with a drill driver, but quicker.

Oh, and if you back out a stainless screw, be careful when grabbing that sucker! They get real hot real quick. I've had a few good burns doing that.

Joe Vincent
09-03-2008, 9:13 PM
Thanks for the replies. It occurs to me that with an impact driver I may be more inclined to drive some longer screws for things like brackets for garage shelves and it's good to know they'll be easier to remove, should I change things around, with the same tool that made it easy to put them in.

Jim Finn
09-03-2008, 9:54 PM
Impact drivers are very usefull. I am a retired sheetmetal worker and impact drivers are aboout all that are used in that trade for running in and out screws all day long. The cordless 9.4 volt Makita drivers that I use have enough torque to break off a 3/8" bolt! Yes they are noisy but we sheetmetal workers are a deaf bunch!:)