PDA

View Full Version : Gloves??

Jason Solodow
09-03-2008, 5:27 PM
Does anyone wear a glove, or gloves, while they're turning?

Dennis Meek
09-03-2008, 5:35 PM
I wear fingerless gloves in the winter since my shop has no heat.

Steve Schlumpf
09-03-2008, 5:45 PM
Jason - I wear a buckskin glove on my left hand to shield my hand from shavings and also serve as a cushion from the gouge and tool rest.

Curt Fuller
09-03-2008, 6:25 PM
Jason - I wear a buckskin glove on my left hand to shield my hand from shavings and also serve as a cushion from the gouge and tool rest.

I also wear a leather glove on my left hand. It's pretty tight fitting and has the fingers cut out at the second knuckle. Next time I need a new one I think I'll use a golf glove.

Rex Guinn
09-03-2008, 6:36 PM
Does anyone wear a glove, or gloves, while they're turning?
I use a golf glove on the left hand, it keeps the hot chips from burning.

Pete Jordan
09-03-2008, 6:38 PM
I use a fingerless glove on my left hand to protect against shavings.

Wally Dickerman
09-03-2008, 6:43 PM
Jason, you should be aware that there is an element of danger when wearing loose fitting gloves while turning.

Dry wood can produce very hot shavings and will get the gouge hot enough to be uncomfortable to hold. I find that snug fitting golf gloves work very well, and aren't dangerous to wear.

Wally

Jim Kountz
09-03-2008, 6:45 PM
I wear one on my left hand mainly because it just looks cool. LOL Just kidding but I do wear one most of the time now that Ive learned the value of doing so.

Bernie Weishapl
09-03-2008, 6:51 PM
I wear a weight lifting glove. It is very cushioned and keeps the hot chip off my hand.

curtis rosche
09-03-2008, 8:03 PM
i wear none, the only tiem i could have used one was doing a lam-beam, and for that i just used my fingertips to move the gouge, it had a long handle, i havent found the need,

Jim Becker
09-03-2008, 9:47 PM
Generally, I don't wear a glove unless I'm cutting some hard, dry stock...and then I'll put a fingerless glove on my left hand to avoid burns. But I'm very careful about where I place my hand in that case. For safety reasons, it's generally NOT recommended to wear gloves...neck ties (!)...or other clothing that potentially could pull some part of your body into the lathe's "action". (Or any other tool for that matter)

Reed Gray
09-03-2008, 11:54 PM
I was considering a glove, or duct tape on my left pinky, but then switched to a scraper for all my roughing work. No more hot shavings abrading my fingers. The shavings go up and over my hand.
robo hippy

Judy Kingery
09-04-2008, 12:00 AM
Hi Jason,

I answered no, because I never wear gloves when turning. But I DO, however, wear a right hand glove when sanding, heat protection sometimes with say a friction polish. I tend to fine-sand or finish with fast rpms, right or wrong, just how I do it. But turning, no, I don't wear any gloves. Bet you get some interesting responses. Jude

Matt Hutchinson
09-04-2008, 7:39 AM
I don't wear gloves normally, but in the winter I may be changing that. My shop isn't heated, and holding icy steel ain't gonna work.

Hutch

Steve Trauthwein
09-04-2008, 8:17 AM
Guess I am the odd man out on this one. Worked as a machinist and tool maker a number of years and the caveats of wearing anything around spinny tools still sticks with me.

I saw a turner from southern Missouri solve the hot chip issue very handily with a piece of gum he had been chewing placed judiciously in the gouge. A piece of duct tape will work as well.

Regards, Steve

scott schmidt grasshopper
09-04-2008, 9:08 AM
during the winter i wear gloves and also when turning abrasive wood. I use the cheapy mechanics gloves from HF. they are tight to my skin and have a good feel also use it when sanding long periods with the wind from the powersander cooling. ( no heat in the shop either,)

Jerry Rhoads
09-04-2008, 7:09 PM
On left hand, short fingers, when roughing some bowls, especially ones with bark still on the blank.

Jerry

Nicholas Briggs
09-04-2008, 8:13 PM
I never wear gloves. Is it weird that I like the feel of wood shavings hitting me? Seems to me that if the shavings are hot enough to burn you or make you uncomfortable, it might be time to sharpen the tool, or change your cutting angle.

Dennis Peacock
09-04-2008, 8:48 PM

Same here...mine is fingerless.

Jamie Cowan
09-04-2008, 8:52 PM
I did a Google image search for "lathe accident" a couple months ago. Didn't like what I saw, so I'm going to go with what my jr. high shop teacher said--don't wear anything that can get caught in any moving part. That's the only thing I remember from that class, but it always stuck with me.

Nathan Hawkes
09-04-2008, 9:57 PM
I wear fingerless gloves in the winter. My shop is an unheated shed. Gets mighty chilly in there.

Tom Lewis
09-04-2008, 11:57 PM
I almost never use gloves. I only use them when the wood is hard and dry and the shavings are too hot for a bare hand. When I do use a glove it is a tight fitting mechanics glove.

Jerry Pittman
09-05-2008, 1:24 PM
I use a leather glove on the left hand to protect from hot shavings from dry wood. I don't do much green wood, but haven't used one for the few items I have turned green.
Jerry

Joshua Dinerstein
09-05-2008, 1:47 PM
I wear a leather glove on my left hand when turning really dry wood. It just gets pretty darn hot otherwise. Once I get down to the lighter finishing cuts I tend to take the glove off as I am not getting as many hot shavings/chips and I am reaching out to feel texture and size so much more often.

Plus the thicker leather has saved me a number of times when I have rubbed up against the chuck by accident. These are just the normal thick tanned leather work gloves. I bought 3 pair at Costco for $20.

I have 3 right-hand only gloves for sale... :)

Joshua