PDA

View Full Version : eBay Saw Feedback

John Dykes
09-03-2008, 5:03 PM
I'm no Clint Jones, but I'm pretty comfortable with buying planes off eBay...

I'm still a relative (errr complete) newbie in the saw realm. I understand that many of you live in areas where rust hunts are quite fruitful. Here in Denver, I've not found a single keeper in hours of looking and many miles traveled. Point being, in looking for saws, I have few options: Wenzloff, reputable antique dealers online, or rolling the (somewhat well calculated) dice with eBay.

It might be a worth sleeping on the couch a month or two for a Wenzloff, but as I've never wielded a large saw - and it may be a bit overkill for one of such little talent as I (pearls before swine and all that).

Ignorance can be an expensive thing to overcome... I hopped onto eBay about 2 hours ago and saw what looked like a nice rip saw (wheat carving and nib). It didn't have much of a description, nor did I have time to get any Sawmill advice. Given what I paid, I'm scared to death to think I made a mistake.

Could the sawyers take a look at 140261923126 and let me know if my gamble was ok? I'm sure I overpaid, but as long as I overpaid on a good saw...

Also a stack of Disston D-23s listed.

(Saw files and saw set were just ordered as well....)

Thanks,
- jbd, "rustless in Denver"

Bob Coleman
09-03-2008, 5:24 PM
John,

From the handle that looks like a Disston #12. Check to see if there is an etch on the blade (in the middle of the side with the wheat carvings on the handle) to verify. If it is, that is the top of the line Disston model from the early 1900s/late 1800s. It should clean up excellently. That is probably about the going rate for #12s in that condition. A clean one with a handle in good shape would go for much more, but then you wouldn't want to use it. I have 2 that were passed on to me that are a true pleasure to use. Have fun with yours!

Also see www.vintagesaws.com and www.disstonianinstitute.com

Johnny Kleso
09-03-2008, 5:39 PM
I seen the 23s and look pretyy good..

No.12s go for $100 to $200 NP and IMHO over priced

Look for a good No.8

harry strasil
09-03-2008, 6:22 PM
John, go to an automotive store and get a pint of Marvel Mystery oil, heat some in a tin can till it just starts to make little white bubbles, remove from heat immediately and using a foam brush wet the whole blade thoroughly, WARNING IF YOU REMOVE THE HANDLE FIRST, put a piece of masking tape on the head of the bolt orientated so you can replace it in the same position and put the nut back on it. then mark which hole the bolt went in. orientate the medallian nut too the same way.

Lay the blade on some round rods up off some scrap cardboard and repeat the process every 2 days for 3 applications, then using some fine scotchbrite and lightly work the rust and MMO off, it should remove the rust but not pits or the etching.

BE Careful, the MMO if it is allowed to boil will flash.

My $.02 worth FWIW

Gary Herrmann
09-04-2008, 7:07 PM
I've got a No 12. Maybe it's just my imagination, but I think it cuts better than my D8. Both sharpened by Steve Cooke. Same tpi.

Don C Peterson
09-05-2008, 5:26 PM
You got yourself a D-12 which was Disston's top of the line.

I'll respectfully disagree with Johnny, the 12's are much better saws with a thinner kerf and more comfortable handle than the D-8, or D-7 saws. They do require a softer hand though since the blade is thinner it is easier to put a kink in it if you don't use good technique. So, as long as the blade is straight and there isn't a lot of pitting, you got yourself a very fine saw. Having said that, I do think you overpaid though.

I have purchased four D-12's on ebay and have never paid more than $35 for one although they do tend to go for quite a bit more if the auction gets a lot of attention.

Patience is the watchword on the Bay. To purchase those four, I probably watched hundreds of auctions and bid on several dozen...