PDA

View Full Version : OW! This 'hadda hurt! (pic)

Fred Voorhees
05-06-2004, 7:39 PM
Calif. Man Recovers After Nail Gun Mishap

LOS ANGELES (AP) - A construction worker had six nails driven into his head in an accident with a high-powered nail gun, but doctors said Wednesday they expect him to make a full recovery.

Isidro Mejia made his first public appearance Wednesday since the April 19 accident that left him with 3 1/2-inch nails embedded in his face, neck and skull. He told reporters in Spanish from his wheelchair that he does not remember much about the accident, but is grateful to be alive.

``He says that he's very happy to be alive,'' said Dr. Rafael Quinonez, a neurosurgeon who removed the nails at Providence Holy Cross Medical Center. ``And he told me this morning that he thought he was going to die. He was happy when he opened his eyes, and he saw that he's still with us.''

Mejia, 39, was atop an unfinished home when he fell from the roof onto a co-worker who was using the nail gun, Los Angeles County sheriff's Deputy Mark Newlands said.

The two men tried to grab each to keep from falling, but both tumbled to the ground. At some point, the nail gun discharged and drove the nails into Mejia's head.

``They're extremely powerful,'' Newlands said. ``They've got to drive through three-quarter-inch plywood.''

Quinonez said Mejia told authorities he remembered a ``shock'' to the back of his neck and little else before passing out.

Three nails penetrated Mejia's brain, and one entered his spine below the base of his skull. Doctors said the nails barely missed his brain stem and spinal cord, preventing paralysis or death.

``We did not have too much hope that he would survive, but we did it and he survived,'' Quinonez said, calling the recovery ``close to a miracle.''

Mejia is walking with minimal assistance and speaks somewhat slowly because his brain's speech center was affected, but his progress has been ``remarkable,'' Quinonez said. With rehabilitation therapy, he should fully recover, he said.

``He is basically normal,'' Quinonez said.

Five nails were removed the same day and the sixth, in Mejia's face, was removed April 23 after swelling went down, the hospital said.

Authorities cleared the co-worker of any wrongdoing.

Tim Morton
05-06-2004, 8:03 PM
I think this has been posted at least 2 other places in on SMC, and it looks more and more "faked" every time I see it. This view looks the most fake...Has anyone ever seen nails like that come from a nail gun?

Joe Suelter
05-06-2004, 8:49 PM
Good point!

Don Abele
05-06-2004, 9:12 PM
Fred, I posted this last night, but a side view x-ray, as did Jim with the link.

Tim, I have seen hundreds of x-rays from my patients with nails in them. I posted a bunch of them several months ago. These are real x-rays from a real case. Now the story...well, I think there's more to it. The report says he was hit with 3 1/2 inch framing nails. Based on anatomical sizing, they look right to me. The angles of the side and front views also match. Soooo...unless someone else can show it false, I'm forced to argue these as real. It's also important to note that these are being covered by national news services and this guy has appeared on television being interviewed.

Tim Morton
05-06-2004, 9:28 PM
It very well may be true, I was just saying to me, it looks like a fake. It would take me about 5 minutes to combine an xray and some nails in Photoshop to give the same effect. The nails looks too perfect...Not the least bit damaged by going though the skull, and like someone else pointed out...if this gun was so rapid fire...how did they come from 4 different sides and 6 different angles? And are you saying that noone has ever scammed the news media before...Al sharpton did it once with tawana brawley and again this year running for president :D ( on a side note he did a better job IMO than any of the other shmoes on the ticket.)

Kelly C. Hanna
05-06-2004, 9:59 PM
The story is suspect to me...I think it was a fight.

Frank Pellow
05-06-2004, 10:03 PM
This picture was in my morning paper today and my original reaction was that the photos had been faked. I have not heard anything since to make me change my mind.

Tim Morton
05-06-2004, 10:24 PM
Doing a google search for the neurosurgeons name turns up another nail gun story 2 years ago with the same doctor at a different hospital...strange but true...what are the chances? I'll buy the first one maybe, but this one seems to be a spin-off.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/09/07/national/main521176.shtml

Brad Hammond
05-06-2004, 10:55 PM
that guy's got as many fillings as he's got nails in his head.

Anthony Yakonick
05-07-2004, 12:06 AM
OT sorry Fred, dirts for planting potatos, asphalt is for racing :D ;)