PDA

View Full Version : American woodworker magizine

Norman Pyles
09-03-2008, 3:41 PM
Just got a subscription flier, from American woodworker magazine. Does anyone here get this magazine? What other mags would you compare it to? I'm currently getting, Wood, Woodcraft, and Woodsmith. Thanks!!!

John Sanford
09-03-2008, 3:51 PM
AW was much better before Rodale sold it to Reader's Digest. The sale roughly coincided with the sale of my house, storage of my shop, and financial "challenges", so I have only occassionally read it over the last few years. The last time I looked at it (a couple of months ago) it did look like they were picking up the level somewhat.

The primary shortcoming from my mind is that its too shallow and basic. Good for beginners, but not enough for someone wanting more substantive fare.

James Ashburn
09-03-2008, 4:53 PM
but I dropped it (along with others and kept Fine Woodworking, Woodwork and Popular Woodworking). Like the previous poster said, it covers the basics. It never challenged me and I lost interest. I think of it about the same level of difficulty as I consider Wood magazine which I also dropped. It looks like you already have a good mix of magazines. Woodcraft is another one that I like a lot but I already have too many subscriptions and I'd rather spend my money on tools.

Larry Nall
09-03-2008, 9:25 PM
I subscribe to a bunch of them. I get somethinge from them all, but then I'm at the lower end of the learning curve. IMHO Wood, American Woodworker and Woodworkers Journal are all about on the same level. Fine Woodworking is definately well abouve them all.

scott spencer
09-04-2008, 7:11 AM
I like AWW as well as any of them. Like others, my opinion varies from issue to issue but overall I like AWW better than most.

Charlie Kocourek
09-05-2008, 10:30 PM
American Woodworker is published locally here in the Twin Cities. I know some of the guys out there and can tell you that they are FIRST RATE! Especially Tom Caspar. By the way, Readers Digest recently sold American Woodworker to another company. I would say buy a subscription and see for yourself.