PDA

View Full Version : With all the gloating, I wanted to join in...

John Weber
05-06-2004, 6:13 PM
I sold a couple seldom used lawn and garden items on ebay and treated myself to a new trimmer. It's a upper end non-professional model and works like a charm. I was given a Stihl blower last fall and have been very impress, so when I went trimmer shopping they were the first place I stopped. It's a model FS 55 RC (the one on the left), and is a real joy compared to my old trimmer. I guess I now know why everyone loves thier Stihl chainsaws, although my Jonsered still gets the job done. Not really wood working, but a new toy, er tool all the same.

John

http://www.stihlusa.com/graphics/trimmers/FS55_both.gif

Keith Outten
05-06-2004, 7:24 PM
John.

I have the Stihl Edger and their blower as well. The commercial models are definately worth the price...they last longer and start every time with little effort. I use a Shindy commercial trimmer and the fastest mower on earth :)

More Power!! :)

Joe Suelter
05-06-2004, 8:51 PM
I also bought a Stihl, I asked for another spark plug the day I bought it, the guy looked at me like I was nuts...said 'what for? you'll never need it!' Three years later, it still fires first pull! I love that!

John Weber
05-07-2004, 2:08 AM
The other nice thing about Stihl is you can only buy from a dealer. While I was there the guy took time out from helping a guy looking at a $7000 mower to sell me a $200 trimmer. Good old Mom and Pop type dealer. What should I trim today...

John

Dan Mages
05-07-2004, 8:04 AM
I have a 24v cordless Toro trimmer. I was surprised how well this thing works! It has more than enough power to get my yard done.

Dan

Stefan Antwarg
05-07-2004, 3:59 PM
Yeah, those stihl tools are nice. Several weeks ago I also purchased a new trimmer. I went for the fs80 because I wanted to have more options for the blade. The 55 was the other I was deciding on.

Stefan

Chris Padilla
05-07-2004, 4:36 PM
Ha, ha! Good gloat, John! I think this could work on the Main Page. Just say something like, "I will use this on the lathe to get an interesting textured finish!" :D

I have a battery-operated B&D weed eater. I love not having a cord but it is a bit on the heavy side. It has been trouble-free for nearly 5 years.

John Weber
05-07-2004, 4:52 PM
Stefan, Yes the FS80 a sweet machine, I almost went for the upgrade, but thought I would save the extra dollars for something else down the road. I live in town so only need a string trimmer.

Chris, now that would be something, lathe running standing 5 feet away holding a running trimmer. I don't think it falls in the category of safety first. However, the Stihl will cut like heck.

John

Stan Smith
05-07-2004, 7:49 PM
Stihl is a great brand. I have a 009 chain saw and switched down to a 12" bar. It starts on the 1st pull even after sitting all winter. It has always cut through everything like butter, too (well, except for that black locust). For trimming, I have a DR trimmer, 7hp commercial model. It cuts through the weeds, even wet ones, with no problemo. I had a 3.5hp version but it was a little weak for the tough weeds here. I also have a DR power wagon for hauling stuff around the property. Another great tool. I've had some bad experience in dealing with the management at Country Home Products, though.

Stan