PDA

View Full Version : What to look for on a used jointer?

Scott Wigginton
09-03-2008, 12:56 PM
Hello everyone, been looking to add a jointer to my shop but have a limited to non-existant budget to work with. Most of the used jointers that in my area and price range ($100-$150) are beaters and typically bench top style or 1950s models (and i am no mechanic).

Yesterday I saw this jointer (http://norfolk.craigslist.org/tls/823093274.html) and for an enclosed base it looks like a good deal. The fellow says it is an Enco but knows almost nothing else (he inherited it and it has just sat in his shop since '05).

My question is what should I look for to ensure its not a lemon, and anyone have experience with a used Enco before? And does this seem like a good deal assuming nothing else is out of whack?

Thanks,

Scott

Johnny Kleso
09-03-2008, 1:43 PM
Check that the beds are flat and true to each other and the fence is square..

Take a good level or straight edge and a square to check beds and fence...

Make sure the fence is square along its whole lenght after setting it square to the table..

Make the two tables ture to each other, check to make sure they are flat to each other and not warped or dropping..

You can use a piece of soda can (.003) as a feeler gauge under the level and if it just fits that is what I would call OK but you would not want too much more..

The fence can be shimmed to be square but if its off you can use it as a bargaining chip..

Also that the motor runs well and cutter turns easy of coarse..

Lee Schierer
09-03-2008, 3:06 PM
The only other thing I can add is look at the knife holders and see if the srews are badly rusted or rounded off so that you won't be able to change or adjust th cutters. Don't be too concerned if the cutters aren't sharp as you can get tehm sharpened and even replaced fairly easily. Replacement knife cost may be a bargaining chip also on the selling price.

James G. Jones
09-03-2008, 4:15 PM
Another thing to check is the bearings. Make sure the cutterhead turns freely, no play or grinding.

James

Carl Maeda-San Diego
09-04-2008, 12:02 AM
Don't be too quick to buy something on Craigslist. They have one or two really good deals every week or two. I buy most of my large tools from Craigslist and I just wait for an awesome deal. I got my 6" craftsman planer for $40, it had a 45" bed and is 1.5 HP. I even got a Delta contractors tablesaw for free (I have three tablesaws) but the motor was broken. I was able to fix and recondition the motor.
My point is, if you have the time, wait a week or two and find a really good deal. You have to be quick though. When I want something, I'm watching craigslist constantly.
The most I paid for something was an old ridigid 14" bandsaw. I paid $100 but it was in pristine condition. no rust and it included a fence.
When you buy something, think about how much you'll spend restoring it and how much time it'll take. You might need to buy replacement parts (like jointer knives or set screws) or buy stuff to remove rust. Setting up electrolysis to remove rust costs about $50 if you buy cheap components or you can use CLR and a couple wire brushes and brass brushes for the painted or delicate parts.

Eric Larsen
09-04-2008, 11:29 AM
While I agree that good deals are happening constantly, it's all about location.

The Chesapeake Bay area may not be hopping like it is here out west. One thing I'd recommend is just watch the tools section for a couple weeks to get a feel for how often fine woodworking equipment is listed. (However, if a rippin' deal drops into your lap, by all means pounce on it.)

But I don't see any reason to buy an off-brand tool where getting replacement parts is going to be dodgy. Look for brands that are known for their customer service. You can afford to be patient. You've gone this long without a jointer. You can go a little longer.

I'd also recommend learning how to use www.crazedlist.org -- I doubt you'd mind driving to DC or Philly to pick up a $2,000 jointer for $200. (It happens.) Once you've checked off all the places you'd drive to, you can search your whole region. I do this regularly for a handful of tools that I really want to buy.

If you have to ask "is this a good deal" -- it usually isn't. A good deal is something you just know intuitively. And you can't wait to get the tool into your shop, photograph it, then post a gloat message.

Good luck!

Eric

PS -- I'd also save up and get at least an 8" jointer. I wish I had a 12" at least. And I'm no wizard in the workshop...

Don't be too quick to buy something on Craigslist. They have one or two really good deals every week or two. I buy most of my large tools from Craigslist and I just wait for an awesome deal. I got my 6" craftsman planer for $40, it had a 45" bed and is 1.5 HP. I even got a Delta contractors tablesaw for free (I have three tablesaws) but the motor was broken. I was able to fix and recondition the motor.
My point is, if you have the time, wait a week or two and find a really good deal. You have to be quick though. When I want something, I'm watching craigslist constantly.

Pete Bradley
09-04-2008, 5:56 PM
That price is in the ballpark if it's pretty much ready to go on power that you have (in other words, if it's 3 phase and you don't have 3 phase or a replacement motor handy, it's worth less to you). It's certainly not worth more than that unless machines are very scarce in your area.

Two things to watch for that would be deal killers:
1. Severe bearing problem.
Bearings are almost too cheap to consider, as long as you're comfortable replacing them. However, be careful not to get a machine where a trashed bearing has eaten the shaft. Slip the belt off the cutterhead and turn by hand. Roughness indicates a need for new bearings. If smooth, make sure the inner race of the bearing is turning with the cutterhead and the outer race is not. You will probably need a small flashlight for this.

2. Cracked dovetail ways
Look at the ends of the ways under the tables. Sometimes someone will overtighten the gib screws and the way will crack right in the inside corner. This may not be fatal, but I'd avoid buying unless there was a steep discount and I really knew the machine would be ok.

Pete

Barry Vabeach
09-04-2008, 6:03 PM
Scott, I actually spent a few seconds looking at it ( while he is a nice enough guy he told me it was an 8 inch jointer - he needs to get his tape measure recalibrated ) Again, I only looked at it for a few seconds, but it looked pretty crappy - the fence is held on by a few bolts and looked real hard to adjust. I didn't bother to turn it on or check the tables or the motor. I have looked at Craigs list for quite a few months and find that it is very rare to see any tool bargains ( I can recall seeing 2 - 1 sold in a instant, the other in one day ) Often the seller has upgraded or bought accessories and wants most of the original purchase price of the base unit. I am beginning to think that if you count all the time you spend looking through Craig's list, and count in a few trips to see things that aren't exactly what the seller says they would be, you would actually save money if you bought it new ( depending on how much you value you time ). If you do a search for jointer on Craigs list - other than the whole shop for $700 ( which included a jointer ) I didn't see anything that worthwhile. The other thing is if you buy a name brand, and decide later you want to upgrade, you won't take as big a hit on the resale as you would with a no name or never heard of brand. *** Disclaimer , I am looking at buying a new jointer in a few days and will probably list my old jointer on Craigs list. ***

While I agree that good deals are happening constantly, it's all about location.

The Chesapeake Bay area may not be hopping like it is here out west. One thing I'd recommend is just watch the tools section for a couple weeks to get a feel for how often fine woodworking equipment is listed. (However, if a rippin' deal drops into your lap, by all means pounce on it.)

But I don't see any reason to buy an off-brand tool where getting replacement parts is going to be dodgy. Look for brands that are known for their customer service. You can afford to be patient. You've gone this long without a jointer. You can go a little longer.

I'd also recommend learning how to use www.crazedlist.org (http://www.crazedlist.org) -- I doubt you'd mind driving to DC or Philly to pick up a $2,000 jointer for $200. (It happens.) Once you've checked off all the places you'd drive to, you can search your whole region. I do this regularly for a handful of tools that I really want to buy.

If you have to ask "is this a good deal" -- it usually isn't. A good deal is something you just know intuitively. And you can't wait to get the tool into your shop, photograph it, then post a gloat message.

Good luck!

Eric

PS -- I'd also save up and get at least an 8" jointer. I wish I had a 12" at least. And I'm no wizard in the workshop...

Eric Larsen
09-05-2008, 11:25 PM
Here's a link for a $50 8" jointer:

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/tls/829240687.html

So, yes, they ARE out there...