PDA

View Full Version : If it don't go, chrome it

Bob Rufener
09-03-2008, 10:34 AM
I noticed in this morning's paper that Google has come out with a free web browser titled "chrome". It will be interesting to see how well it is put together and how well it will be accepted. Perhaps the "techies" at Google were thinking of my title when they were comparing it to explorer....

Jim Becker
09-03-2008, 11:44 AM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=91440

Cliff Rohrabacher
09-03-2008, 2:17 PM
Netscape and Explorer were pilloried because they sent reports of your web browsing activity to marketing people who bundled it up and sold it to make money.

I'd be interested if Google has done the same.

Mitchell Andrus
09-03-2008, 2:24 PM
Netscape and Explorer were pilloried because they sent reports of your web browsing activity to marketing people who bundled it up and sold it to make money.

I'd be interested if Google has done the same.

I would, wouldn't you?

David DeCristoforo
09-03-2008, 11:29 PM
"I'd be interested if Google has done the same."

Count on it. Google is as much into "world domination software" as MS, or any other commercial software companies.

skip coyne
09-03-2008, 11:42 PM
heres a couple of things to look at if your considering it

http://www.us-cert.gov/current/index.html#google_chrome_vulnerability

http://gizmodo.com/5044871/google-chrome-eula-claims-ownership-of-everything-you-create-on-chrome-from-blog-posts-to-emails

Jim Becker
09-04-2008, 8:07 AM
Skip, on the second one, Google is modifying the EULA text according to the link you posted. But frankly, this kind of language is quite common. Forums, for example, while not necessarily claiming "ownership" of what we post, normally retain the rights to use the content we post in a perpetual fashion via the Terms of Service we all agree to when we sign up. That's logical since it insures integrity of the publicly posted content.

Cliff Rohrabacher
09-04-2008, 10:44 AM
Forums, for example, while not necessarily claiming "ownership" of what we post,

tribe.net claims ownership. I suspected they don't want to be held accountable when they delete old files or if it gets corrupted some how or if the site is sold. However, I can't picture some forum web site seeking to sell the so called intellectual property.

Jim Becker
09-04-2008, 9:27 PM
Cliff, you indirectly make a good point...my statement was general. I have no doubt that some forums will claim ownership of content members provide...and many of them will never know it because almost no one ever reads EULAs and Terms of Service despite clicking on the 'accept' button, often more than once.

Ben Davis
09-04-2008, 9:45 PM
Chrome still has the problem of the Flash player memory hogging. Add-ons to FF quell this, but no such plug-in for chrome exists yet. Open several youtube windows and you'll feel the pain (especially on legacy windows machines). I'm sticking with FF for now. Chrome has some nice additions though. I like the tabs at the top.