PDA

View Full Version : Help, I'm being attacked by wood!!

Brian Brown
09-03-2008, 10:34 AM
I had been doing a little research on wood turning before I got my lathe, and wondered where I would ever get the wood to do wood turning. When the LOML gave me the lathe, the first question I asked was where will I get some wood. We live in the heart of the desert, and there are very few indiginous trees here. Well, apparently that was one of the stupidest questions I ever asked. :o

So now, my question is where do I store all this #@%&$% wood? :eek: I had a recent box elder burl score http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=89426 , my in laws bestowed a gift of some maple braches they cut last week, and Monday, dear old dad called to ask for help cutting down his apricot tree. :) Guess where the wood went? If you guessed landfill, you guessed wrong! :rolleyes: I told my wife if anyone offers wood, the answer is no, unless it has fabulous burl or figure. She looked at me an said I absolutely agree...., unless it's black walnut. We need black walnut. Well, no worry there, they are not indiginous, and there are very few around.

At breakfast this morning, I was reading the paper, and in the want ads under home and garden, (don't ask me how I saw it, I only read the tools section), there was an ad that read" Large black walnut tree, free for the taking". The phone number is local. It's a sickness I tell you. I need professional help! :eek:

No, I don't have pics of the maple and apricot yet. The only thing I do in my spare time is oil and refuel the chain saw. :( I can't even find time to turn all of the Christmas gifts on the list because I'm too busty getting wood.

So, I guess my question is does any any have some creative ideas for storing all this wood? Preferably somthing that won't be a fire hazard. SWMBO loves the wood, but doesn't want it cluttering the yard. I have a shed on a foundation with a crawl space underneath. It is damp and moldy, and I thought about storing a few items there, hoping to induce some spaulting. The species I have the most of are: poplar (want to spault) russian olive, apricot (want to spault some), Black walnut, ash, and box elder (want to spault some). Any storage suggestions are welcome.

Hi my name is Brian, and I'm a woodaholic!

Ken Fitzgerald
09-03-2008, 10:36 AM
Brian....about that wood storage building you are about to build......:rolleyes:

Congrats on the wood!

Jim Becker
09-03-2008, 10:39 AM
There are worse afflictions, of course...

Steve Schlumpf
09-03-2008, 10:49 AM
A new pole barn? Congrats on having such a problem! Looking forward to the photos of your black walnut score!

Brian Effinger
09-03-2008, 11:14 AM
The first step in recovery is admitting you have a problem. :D

Jim Underwood
09-03-2008, 11:45 AM
The only solution I've found is to spend evenings and weekends roughing out bowls etc. and wrapping them in newspaper.

Only problem with that solution, is that there's still a several years worth of wood left over at the end of the evening or weekend.:rolleyes:

A friend of mine told me that he and his wife agreed that he couldn't take in any more wood in unless he turned several pieces or threw out/gave away a couple of pieces of wood.

Mike Peace
09-03-2008, 12:20 PM
[quote=Jim Underwood;919187]... there's still a several years worth of wood left over at the end of the evening or weekend.:rolleyes:

Jim, my only comment is "Pick up the pace Bubba!" http://sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon7.gif

Richard Madison
09-03-2008, 12:25 PM
For lack of anything better, you could store it off the ground (on old pallets), in the shade, covered with a heavy tarp (in a fashion that permits air flow around the wood). But a heated and air conditioned building on a concrete foundation would be better.

scott schmidt grasshopper
09-03-2008, 12:48 PM
hi brian.. welcome to the meeting,
wood scores are always more than you can work up in a timely manner so how to store it.
I have several huge piles of wood that at one time was wonderful and sure sure I am going to get to it.
now . step one
yes I have a problem
I A. like to bring home more than one peice
B. if I can lift it .. its mine.
C. eyes bigger than your lathe.
soo
to store it. I have taken the steps of using the chainsaw to make planks of it . two parrell sides no pith ( easier to lift and stack ) then I seal the ends and sides with good sealant anchor seal is 5 times better then some of them.then I sticker the blocks in the barn (cement floor,drafty walls and no sunlight!) blocks are normally 4 or 5 inches thick. they split abit but do mostly ok. and I can see what each one looks like on the end. ps write what type of wood and the date on everything
this way you end up with mostly good useable wood and almost orderly
second step if you like a peice . turn it green or cut it round on the bandsaw into a bowl blank then end seal totally and paper bag it and stick it under that shed of yours. 3 yrs from now you will be digging those blocks out .and they will be dry I have a spare bathroom i use for a drying room with wire racks for finish demensioned green turned bowls to dry on . and can store 20 blocks/ blanks on the 3x2 floor and 30 bowls in the racks . wont tell you how the spare bedroom looks but to say . damn I got alot of sanding to do ./ would also work for rough turned stuff
good luck .. stick with the program we all never get passed step # oh need some wood? I got some to spare....

Frank Kobilsek
09-03-2008, 1:01 PM
Brian

You are right it can be a problem. My two suggestions:

1) Scott is on the right track slabbed out blanks stack nicer than logs. I think they keep better too in that the pith is gone.
2) Recently I have teamed up with a couple guys that collect alot of firewood. So I help take down a tree, I slab out the blanks I want right on site. They haul off anything I don't want for thier fireplaces. It keeps me from hauling home a whole tree just for the 6 to 10 blanks I will use.

This said it sounds like the wife supports the addiction so whats the problem.

Frank

Bernie Weishapl
09-03-2008, 1:22 PM
Brian I went down to Sears and bought me a 10 X 13 metal storage building. I put some of those plastic shelves in it from Wal-Mart to hold and store the wood. I have shelves along the outside walls and a set down the center which gives lots of storage. I was like you and couldn't figure out what to do plus the wife didn't want piles of wood everywhere so she suggested this option and it won't break the bank.

Phillip Bogle
09-03-2008, 2:20 PM
Brian:
You could build one of those arched pipe, film covered greenhouses. You should be able to get an 8' X 24' for less than $500. complete.

Next you fill the greenhouse with the green wood in what ever form you choose. You tell your wife it is a greenhouse for greenwood, but IF she wishes to use it for growing plants or some other such nonsense she is welcome -- AFTER you empty the greenhouse of the greenwood. This process will require that you spend considerable time and money making stuff in your shop with the wood that used to be green. In order to pick up the pace of completion, which you could do IF she would be so kind as take over the lawn mowing responsibilities. If she goes for this you have it made! You can now add to her list the oil change on the car, home repairs, shopping days, etc. . I will say that some wives are masters of this technique and you may find yourself in shark infested waters. Tread carefully!

I am not serious! The greenhouse is one possibility, and they are cheaper than most options.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-03-2008, 2:27 PM
Of course Brian.....Tamara's latest desire....a PM3520B would relieve you of the problem quicker because you could cut and turn bigger blanks!:rolleyes:

George Morris
09-03-2008, 3:34 PM
Brian PM me and I will give you my address to send it to PA !!!! Any woodturners PM brian he will send us wood!!! Thanks Brian ! :)

Ron Drew
09-03-2008, 4:25 PM
I rented a 10 X 15 unit at A Storage Inn 2 yrs ago to store logs and all my flat boards. Cost is about $800/yr, but it was that or nothing, because I have zero room for storage here at home.

robert hainstock
09-03-2008, 4:40 PM
Sounds like a lifetime pdoblem. I go with the rent a storage room, 8x12 get some shipping pallets, andgo gloat some. What a problem to have. :eek::eek::):):)
Bob

Brian Brown
09-03-2008, 5:04 PM
Ron,

I tried the storage unit a year ago, but it is very dry here and in the summer it got so hot inside, that the wood split terribly, even when carefully anchorsealed. :( So I stopped renting the unit. I do like Phillips idea however. Reminds me of like Tom Sawyer and painting a fence. :rolleyes: As for the PM 3520b, same problem with room to store it. SWMBO keeps talking of building a shop, but the budget and zoning ordinances say that won't happen. Woe is me. Actually I called about the classified ad, and she said before the ad ran, her neighbor offered to take the tree for horror of horrors :eek::eek::eek: FIREWOOD. She wants someone to build something with it, but she said she promised it to him first. I left my number, hopefully he'll be willing to let me have a few crotch pieces. I went to look at it, and it is not as big as she described it, but still some nice wood. Oh well, I wouldn't know where to put it any way.

Jim Kountz
09-03-2008, 6:54 PM
This was funny, I can relate myself although most of my "surplus" wood is all flat! I would like to stock pile some nice chunks. The fact that I have cherry, walnut and mahogany coming out of my ears is the main reason for my interest in segmented turning. Because I can!;)

curtis rosche
09-03-2008, 8:06 PM
get a bran, let it sit and spault, except for the ones that will rot to quick. pile the basement and attic. make a big wood pile, build a bigger shop. you are definatly a turner, when i go down the road and i see a burl, i always ask if we can go back and get the chainsaw.

Barry Stratton
09-03-2008, 8:28 PM
You need a wood stove for winter!! Thats how I heat my shop:D

Tamara Brown
09-04-2008, 1:00 AM
OK, interesting suggestions, the guest room thing is totally out however! By the way, the way Brian made is sound, he thinks this wood is all his. He might be allowed to use some of it, if he's a good boy! SWMBO

Leo Van Der Loo
09-04-2008, 1:43 AM
Brian in your case I would get the logs as long as you possible can handle.
Place off of the ground (rack or pallets) out of the sun and out of the wind also if possible, and covered with a tarp, Why that??
You can go and spend all your time and effort on cutting and sawing the logs into blanks, and then have some splitting before you can use it and there's all your work in vain.
On the other hand if you leave the logs long and you have some splitting, just cut it off and then cut a piece to turn of the log, seems more logical to me, and yes it hurts if the wood splits, but less so than having done all the work and have nothing to show for it, just my way of looking at it.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-04-2008, 1:45 AM
OK, interesting suggestions, the guest room thing is totally out however! By the way, the way Brian made is sound, he thinks this wood is all his. He might be allowed to use some of it, if he's a good boy! SWMBO

Yes Ma'am!:)

George Guadiane
09-04-2008, 5:01 AM
:rolleyes: I told my wife if anyone offers wood, the answer is no, unless it has fabulous burl or figure. She looked at me an said I absolutely agree...., unless it's black walnut. We need black walnut. Well, no worry there, they are not indiginous, and there are very few around.

At breakfast this morning, I was reading the paper, and in the want ads under home and garden, (don't ask me how I saw it, I only read the tools section), there was an ad that read" Large black walnut tree, free for the taking". The phone number is local. It's a sickness I tell you. I need professional help! :eek:

Hi my name is Brian, and I'm a woodaholic!
Hi Brian,
WELCOME!
Not that I would want you to, but the way to recover from an addiction is to "Just Say NO!" I almost fell on the floor laughing when I read your "plight." I have SEVEN Gorilla racks, 6 feet by 6 feet by 2 feet FULL of banana boxes FULL of processed wood (in one place) and two more in the barn with the lathe. I also have it tucked into corners and stacked on the floor. I just got 600 pounds or more of red oak burl, BIG suckers and then there is the stuff still outside on sites I need to get to. Seriously, if I wanted plain wood, there are also two log truck loads at a friends Inn, and there is the stuff across the street, some of it that a bandsaw mill friend came over and cut up for me, that I just can't get to...
Even JUST getting the good stuff, I have to sell off Lots of it to try and make room for the upgrades...
Not that I'm complaining, but my other business has gotten so busy, I only have time to cut up and prepare blanks, but from November to March, I will be roughing and finishing... Unless someone calls with some FABULOUS figured wood.
I feel your pain.:D

Norm Zax
09-04-2008, 5:11 AM
Brian,
Here's an alternative approach - give it your full attention! Like me: no more turning, just collection of wood! Its so much fun, addictive no less than turning, instant gratification, much cheaper on hardware (any storage is cheaper than lathe upgrades). Why resist temptation? Wood is free, wood is nice, heavier is better, more, more...[wipe drool here].
And most important, you're not alone.
Hang in there,
Norm