PDA

View Full Version : Question about inserts and SALES NOTICE

Hilel Salomon
09-03-2008, 6:52 AM
First the selfish part: Thanks to the considerable kindness of Bob Holloway, and in accord with his suggestions, I'm about to try and make my own roughing tools. I've gotten hold of several rods of cold rolled steel bars and am about to buy some carbide inserts. A trip to Ebay left me totally confused as to what kind and size I should get. I hate to keep bothering Bob, so I'll ask those of you who have done this what you got.

Thanks, Hilel.

Dick Strauss
09-03-2008, 10:41 AM
Hilel,
I can't help with the inserts though if I had to guess I'd guess I'd want RCMT/RPMT/RDMT inserts (7*/11*/15* faces). Please check with the experts (I'm definitely not in that category)! Here's a link to Carbide Depot for a good selection of inserts...
http://www.carbidedepot.com/Dynamiclanding.aspx?CategoryID=4285

I can say that Hartville tool is one of the best companies I've dealt with for purchasing turning supplies. My order arrived the next day exactly as ordered. My friends have all had good experiences with them as well.

CYAL-I have no relationship to either company.

Take care,
Dick

Bob Hallowell
09-03-2008, 10:51 AM
You can use the site that Dick gave as a reference as what you want then do a search on the bay to get the for 3-5$ a piece there are thousands there. I bought some of the rounds to use on my Monster that match pefectly. Plus some other to make tools I just haven't done yet. As I told you before I plan on making a hunter style and an easy rougher style tools.

Bob

Hilel Salomon
09-03-2008, 1:38 PM
Thanks Dick and Bob (sorry about the sloppy spelling of your name). The round bars were incredibly cheap but I'm also having the shop take some squared stock and round out the ends so that my handles can accommodate them.
I'll order some of the inserts from the site you gave me, and also some from the Grizzly site as well.
Regards, Hilel.

Maylon Harvey
09-03-2008, 10:09 PM
First the selfish part: Thanks to the considerable kindness of Bob Holloway, and in accord with his suggestions, I'm about to try and make my own roughing tools. I've gotten hold of several rods of cold rolled steel bars and am about to buy some carbide inserts. A trip to Ebay left me totally confused as to what kind and size I should get. I hate to keep bothering Bob, so I'll ask those of you who have done this what you got.

Thanks, Hilel.

Thanks Heil, I was getting ready to order a Stronghold from Packard, you just saved me $60 by going with Hartville plus the shipping. Gosh, I love this forum

Norm Zax
09-04-2008, 5:36 AM
Hillel,
it would be nice if you could post a short description of the process, once you complete it: Source of parts (links) + prices and a pic of the final. I really enjoy making tools but havent added carbides yet.
Thx!

Nathan Hawkes
09-04-2008, 10:31 AM
Hey Hilel; sorry I missed your message! I've been looking for the cutters too. Seems like there are several hundred different choices. I might just wing it and get some that seem to match the relief angle profile.